After 2 months, iPhone 5 says "NO SERVICE".

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cebuano1976, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. Purchased it full price. It worked without a hitch the 2 months I've had it.

Today, it shows "No Service" while all my other iPhones (4 & 4S) show T-Mobile still.

Should I do a restore? Back-up or New?

Thanks for the advice.

2. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I'd recommend (until one works): a restart, then a reset, then a restore (first as new, then from backup).

3. macrumors 68020

John T

Is the SIM card ok? To check, try the SIM card in your iPhone in another phone.

4. macrumors member

I had that problem on my VZ iPhone 5 the other day (got a "Cannot find SIM card" message--duh). Also, sometimes I get 3G in LTE zones. A reboot fixes the problem, but it's annoying when it happens.

5. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Been getting the INVALID SIM message where the Verizon logo should be. A reboot fixes it temporarily, but while displayed the phone will not receive calls or texts. Very annoying.

6. macrumors 68020

Is it not common knowledge the first thing you should do if having issues with an iPhone is restart it?
    Then if the issue continues the next step is to reinstall firmware and set up as a new phone.... these actions typically fix the issue.

7. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

If resetting the iPhone doesn't fix it, don't dismiss the notion that your SIM might be hinky. We had a phone that suddenly stopped making calls and ATT checked it, discovering that the SIM had inexplicably failed. SIM was replaced at no charge to us and everything was fine after that.

8. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Took my Invalid SIM card to Verizon. They replaced the SIM card-not very willing and problem is solved. It got to the point that a reboot/reset/etc. was not helping and it rendered the phone useless. All is well.

9. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Congratulations on getting it sorted. :)

FWIW, when our SIM failed, it had never happened to us or to anyone that we knew. When we called ATT customer service about the problem, the tech recommended that we take the phone into an ATT store. Glad to hear that you insisted on Verizon replacing yours.

I do love a happy ending. ;)

10. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Thanks. I had called Apple and all they did was tell me to reboot, turn airplane mode on/off, etc. It didn't help. The Verizon employee was a bit stumped but I insisted Apple said it's a SIM problem and they finally replaced it. Be persistent.

11. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Funny about Apple suggesting turning Airplane mode ON/OFF. My son's phone was the one that failed and it happened when he turned Airplane mode OFF when getting off a flight. It rendered him unable to call me to tell me where to pick him up in the airport & me unable to tell him where I was waiting. :( He had to find a pay phone. :eek: :D

12. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Strange. Are there even pay phones around these days? ;)

13. lelisa13p, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

14. macrumors regular

My phone was shipped with a faulty SIM card, I've heard this is a common problem I went to Verizon and got a new one and haven't had a problem since but I also got the no sim messages and no service