After 2 years & 300+ posts I've finally made the switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DISCOMUNICATION, May 24, 2006.

1. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Thank god my debit card didn't go though when I was ordering the Mini last weekend. I had considered the MacBook, but ended up going with a 17" iMac with 1GB of ram, 250GB hhd, iWork pre-installed all on an educational discount. I'm switching from a dual 1Ghz PIII Gateway server with 640GB of ram and 40GB hhd, 18GB SCSI hhd. I'll still need bootcamp, but I won't look back on the hardware side. Now for that second monitor/TV.....

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Congrats. I'm surprised it took you this long! :D

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

About fracking time! :D

Nice machine there. Whatcha gonna be using it for?

4. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Switch and it feels...

I was an illustrator before I dropped out of art school. Thinking of getting back to my roots, couldn't stand using Painter on my PC. I also dable in LightWave3D which is why I picked the iMac over the MacBook. I also do some database programming with VB.net, Access, and Oracle.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Congrats on your first Mac! I know you'll enjoy it! :D

6. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Congratulations! What made you decide that it was time to switch?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow, that's an impressive portfolio. :cool:

8. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

*Whew*. Thank god indeed. You have no idea how much you really need to thank god for stopping the Mini order.

Oh my god! I'm not even gonna start ranting about the Mini. Just don't buy one, and never let anyone you know buy one.

9. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Why the Mini hate?

10. Zeeshan macrumors newbie

Congrats! Im trying myself right now to sell off my Windowns Laptops and get a nice Mac. For the time being, i just go to the apple store every week and play with the PB's, thinking to myself "one day....."

11. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

They're slower than my G3 iBook. Literally.

Something about having a 2.9 pound computer just somehow..... doesn't cut it in terms of performance.

It's the computer you get for your grandma so she can email you from her new senior home.

It's the kind of computer you get for somebody who needs to write a book, and nothing else. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if it lags while typing.

Care to argue for the Mini? Go ahead, i'll find you a dozen raging people saying "The beach ball was spinning like crazy from day 1!!!" "It's a slow mother****er" etc.

In other words.

It is a piece of ****.

12. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Damn son! That's a lot of ram! Anyway, congratulations! :D

13. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

LOL!

14. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

No it's not. Literally.

15. novagamer macrumors member

Stop spreading BS. You do not know what you're talking about, plain and simple. Other people might not know that you're spouting off, and might actually take your advice as being true. Knock it off.

16. iAFC macrumors member

The mini is maybe the worst computer I've ever used. A little piece of crap.

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'm surprised you didn't get a PowerMac or hold out for the new Mac Pros, post WWDC.

Not saying you made a bad purchase, but long term the 'pro' line might be a better fit.

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

What a load of crap. Don't listen to anything this guy says.

19. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I love the Mac mini. Works great, and I can upgrade the processor (yes, it's socketed!) and monitor (currently a 19" widescreen) when I like. And I can buy another computer next year that will have better specs than the current Apple hardware.

Then again, I do have the dual-core version with a full 2 GB of RAM. And I already had the monitor / kb / mouse from when I used my iBook as a desktop.

I can imagine the single core version doing okay. I used the CPU core disabler thing in Developer Tools and I still don't beachball even while I play video, download ISOs of Linux, have 40 tabs in Safari, and 15-20 programs open.

If you don't need a high-end video card (I don't, my gaming fix is consoles) it's good.

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

Let's pretend for a moment that your post isn't poppycock.

Why do we always have to stick grandma with a crappy Mini? I mean, a lot of elderly women these days are quite computer savvy. What would you suggest for an elderly grandma that wants to do heavy video editing or play UT? It's an honest question. Honest. [/not]

21. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

ah, yeah...oops, but someday....someday:eek:

I'm all about saving space these days. I hope Apple goes back to a smaller tower design though.

22. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Youd dare insult the greatest foosball player on MR?!

:D

23. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

24. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

It shipped!

Hate to break up the which machine is slowest debate, but my oder shipped:D ! The estimated delivery date is this Saturday. FedEx delivers on Saturday? I know UPS doesn't. Oh, I also ordered a Samsung 215TW as a second display/TV. The component inputs are only 480p, but the DVI port is HDCP. The black and white color scheme should look awsome with my black(US) and white(JAP) PSTwo's on each end of my desk.

25. DISCOMUNICATION thread starter macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Ooops

My debit card didn't go through on that 215TW order. Gotta go back to the bank, but maybe this was a sign too. I kinda wanted a second display that had an intgrated tuner and remote, but its gotta be a high res than the 17" iMac. I guess that pure black and white color scheme isn't that important to me. Well guess I'll keep looking. Any suggestions? I'm looking long and hard at the Sony MFM-HT205 now. :confused: