After 40 Years, Separatists in Spain Declare Cease-Fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 22, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Could Catalonia's reaffirmation of its semi-independent status have something to do with this?

Personally, I think this is the way to the future for many of Europe's minorities. The stronger the EU becomes, the less countries will be able to bully its minorities. The Balkans are certainly a case in point but so are Wales and Scotland. What's more problematic are situations like the Hungarian minorities in Slovakia and Romania although recent prosperity has at least dulled the antagonism. The Roma of course remain the EU's one truly persecuted minority wherever they are.

Basqueland (?) would remain a part of the EU, it's too small to go the way of Switzerland and its ties to Spain are too long standing to totally sever itself from the mothership. It would also be economic suicide.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm glad for the Basque people and the people of Spain. I hope this works out for them. :)

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I didn't realise that Wales and Scotland were bullied. That's terrible, considering they each have their own Assembly/Parliament. Surely you've missed out the most important and relevant counterpart in the UK: Northern Ireland.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

do the scots still print their own currency? did wales ever?

just curious...

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is still a "Scottish Pound" (=GBP) north of the border, and occasional examples wind up down here, too. The Welsh have no currency of their own except Welsh gold and leeks.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What did it take for the Welsh and Scots to get their Assembly/Parliament? Obviously not all minorities are treated with the same contempt but the English historically haven't had much regard for the Welsh or the Scots.

Definitely Northern Ireland should be included. I simply can't imagine how a NI can become a normally functioning entity after so many decades of terror on both sides.