After 5 years of MS stipulations...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by graydecember, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I doubt it, there is no gap in the market to fill really.

2. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

To ship all MacOs with a new Apple iBrowser would sure make a lot uf people using it!
    I think it would be a good idea, if it`s not to much work . .

3. cyberchill macrumors newbie

Apple IBrowser

... they could just buy OmniWeb and stick an Apple logo on it...

4. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Re: Apple IBrowser

Just what I what I was thinking . . :)

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

You can hide the tool bars in IE 5.1 and in Nescape 6 and just use hot keys to show them when you want to use them or you can just program hotkeys your self

6. reyesg4 macrumors newbie

They can't make a browser, bad PR

If apple made a browser then it would be easier to see how many Macs are on the web and the low numbers would make Apple look bad. Besides, MS could just come up with windows only plugin standards and ruin the internet some more.

7. Limbo macrumors newbie

Apple did try to make a wb Browser AND webSP. It was something to do with some dog. Fuki dunno. But it fell thru, I read that in an Oldmacaddict. Prolly the best/worst things apple one.

8. cyberchill macrumors newbie

CyberDog

Apple's foray was called CyberDog. It didn't feel like a browser, rather like a notepad. They never really finished it, especially with the Microsoft/Netscape broswer war.

It was innovative, but maybe a little too different.

9. cplmd macrumors member

CyberDog

Actually, the darn thing was fantastic as a concept. It treated web pages and gopher sites and just about any other resource like the information on a yellow note pad. It organized them so intuitively and just was a different metaphor of looking at the early web, another typical and well done Apple interface concept.

If it recall it was a way of demonstrating what you could do with OpenDoc.

10. graydecember thread starter macrumors member

11. GPTurismo macrumors 6502

iWeb, or iBrowse.

I hate to say it, to keep platform consistancies, it would need to use IE's engine, but I would hope they would put it into Cocoa so it can take full advantage of Java.

12. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Browsers are hard...

No way would Apple make a browser.

Making a fast, stable and correctly rendering browser is a *huge* task. And why would Apple spend resources on that when Microsoft makes a pretty nice browser for the Mac?

The day that MS stops making IE work well on the Mac is the day that Apple will step in. And as slow and buggy as it is, the Mozilla project is probably the way to go. Mozilla could very quickly become a very nice browser if it had more people (ie, a team from Apple) getting paid to make it so.

Anyway, browsers are old hat. We should be looking for the next application platform of the internet. Cool apps that take advantage of the 'net without taking away the super-usability of a well-written desktop app.

Imagine iTools and other apps "really" integrated into your Mac.

13. amichalo macrumors regular

Don't bet on Apple invading existing partnerships

Let me say first, I would love to see Apple's attempt at a browser, given their recent triump of iPhoto, on the heals of iTunes.

That said, Apple needs friends. Why would Apple make a PDA when Palm is giving time during the Keynow of MWSF? Same defense as to why Apple would assault the market space of Netscape, Mozilla, and IE when they all support Apple?

Apple is smartly befriending where they should and taking on a market head on, such as the MP3 players, with products that are next generation (iPod).