after 6 monthes, whats the similiar function of this in OSX compare to windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clevin, Dec 31, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

one thing really missing,
    at windows, open a folder with alot of pictures, you can choose thumbnail view, then just like a image browser, you can quickly go through what the images are and do some operations like delete, copy.
    under OSX, the closest way i find so far is too select all files and then double click to open it in previews. and at that mode, u can't delete it.
    I would really like a simple and quick image browser function.
    any idea?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You're 100% right. Pics on the desktop can be shown like that, not in finder, odd...

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

ohh, i hope osx can, i remember gnome is even better than windows, it automatically gives thumbnail of pics, but leaves alone folders, while in windows, if u choose thumbnail, it will try to thumbnail your folders too, rather than only pics.

if so, any simple softwares u would recommend? adobe bridge is good, but kinda slow, even CS3.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I am not sure that I understand your issue, but let me give it a try.

If you select a folder, then click on the first jpg, for example, then click on the preview triangle so it is pointing down, you should see a preview of the picture.

Then all you have to do is use the up and down arrows to go through your pictures.

Also, if you use image software that Canon provides with their cameras to upload your pictures, it creates thumbnails for the icon folder view which is very handy.

However, with the improvements of iPhoto it might just be easier to manage your photos by using iPhoto.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is also always setting the view options for the pictures folder to be icons at 128x128 and showing preview. This is a pretty good preview browser to me....

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i guess this is what i was talking about:
    I want to it to be able to show me thumbnails of all pics in the folder automatically, rather than asks me to click one by one to see the preview, I got a really big pictures folder, its much easier to organize when i can see all of them in thumbnail at once.
    [​IMG]

7. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

or yes, i think you are right, i just found it.
    og, my, its small!, do i have to increase the icon's size to see little bit bigger thumbnail? that way my folder icon would be super big too?

8. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Is there a good way to apply these settings to a certain folder and all of its subfolders only? I am using the 128x128 icon option for quite some time now, but it seems I can only apply these settings to either only the current folder, or all folders.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, you do... :( But the folders look good at 128x128! :eek:

As for folders inside folders... somehow, my Pictures library and all of its sub-folders are in icon view, with most of the rest of my HD in list view. I'm not sure how, though. :eek: If I remember, I'll say. I think it has to do with whether you've previously set view options for those subfolders. If you did, they persist, but if you never did, then they take the view options of the parent folder by default, I think. Meaning I changed my Pictures folder and all the undefined interior folders automatically went icon view also....

10. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

lol, im using 52x52, i can't stand 128x128 folder icons running around my finder, :D
    anyway, im still searching for quick, small, and easy pic organizing software, like acdsee or irfan view under windows, adobe bridge is too slow and big..

11. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i found acdsee for mac 1.6, ppc version, released in 2001, and its a trial version
    gee, any free nice solution here?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

GraphicConverter isn't totally free either, but has many fans on Macs.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/

It's universal, and it's pretty powerful.

What I do is just keep all my "important" pictures in the iPhoto library, and keep the junk (e.g. desktops) in the root Pictures folder with the big thumbnails. :eek:

13. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

ok, i failed, I searched all versiontracker.com 's image browsing software lists.
    only phoenix slides can make nice thumbnail quick and easy, but can't do any operation on it
    Images can load the images good, can do operation, but no whole folder pictures' thumbnails all at once

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Honestly, I think that it might just be one thing that isn't included in OS X and you may have to deal with it until OS X Leopard is released. It's not looking like anything has the solution you want.

I have access to the latest Leopard version, and I could check if you really wanted me to... <that's if they implemented it yet, if they are.>

15. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

well, would be nice if in leopard, finder can let me see thumbnails of pics with a different size than the folder icons.

sure, if not difficult, plz do check for me, thanks :D

16. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

oh, ok, i found phoenix slides would allow you to delete the pics, just cant be done by mice, have to use keyboard, but anyway, its super fast, faster than anything (adobe bridge cs3, osx finder), very close to acdsee 3.2 under windows. im gonna use it from now on until maybe leopard. thanks.
    [​IMG]

17. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I struggled with this as well when I switched 2 years ago... The only thing I can say is that's what iPhoto is for (as flawed as it is).