After a weekend of vista hell, ive switched and im lovig every second

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gideon1972, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Gideon1972 macrumors newbie

After a miserable weekend of newly bought PC Vista hell, i threw in the towel and after enduring 20+ years of PC hell and frustration i tool the thing back, got a refund and headed for the nearest apple store. £1600 later and a spanking new MacBook Pro under my arm, i am once again a happy computer user. Don't get me wrong i've used macs in the past, but only at work for DTP stuff, but i never had the confidence to get one for my house. I simply cannot believe how enjoyable this MacBook is. ilife is simply amazing as bundled software, and i even went back and bought iwork. I am in love with garageband. I could go on all night but this would get geeky.

One question, do i really not have to worry about viruses, can i throw my symatic software out.

Its great to be a part of the Mac community and now im off to switch my friends and family to macs - they dont know what they are missing

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No viruses affect osx. The only virus scanners there are for mac scan for windows viruses in case you are sending files to an unprotected PC.

Good luck, and Welcome to the Social!

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

lol throw out all that satanic software and burn it in a giant fire whilst chanting! Really, switching to Macs was the best thing I ever did for my music and general creativity...

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

hey, good for you, i recently switched as well, but only because this is the first computer thats mine, and not my parents :p

Virus software sucks, it slows down your computer.

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Please confirm that you are an administrator.

[Yes] [No]

:p

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Congratulations on the switch. My 12" PowerBook is still the best computer purchase I've made to date.

8. tuqqer macrumors member

Get rid of all anti-virus software. There's simply no need. How those companies are staying in business is beyond my comprehension.

Mac'ing since 1992, without a single virus-protection software, and without a single virus.

9. mindsplit macrumors newbie

here's a free one

a free antivirus you can use that does a decent job is clamxav: http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/

i don't use one but i have tested this one and it does just fine.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

The answer to your question is obvious, You think your PC version of Symatic will work on a Mac? lol

11. KKP925 macrumors member

Congratulations on your switch over! I own a printing company and first switched to Mac around 1.5 years ago when I replaced my graphic design department PC with a G5. Since then, I have replaced all but 1 PC with Mac's (now have 2 G5's, 1 NEW Mac Pro and a 17" Mac Book Pro). I also have two iMac's at home (one each for my wife & I)!!! I'm still learning things, but am never disappointed with my Mac's. :D

12. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i feel the same way about my mac, i'm allways finding out new things that i can do with them.

13. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

You don't really need to worry, but it never hurts to be on the cautious side, I scan all newly download software/files with ClamXav. It's a great program, really worth looking into. Also it's free!

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You don't need to worry about AV. I have non never have had a single virus. Now there is a couple "concept" destructive applications they don't really do much. So just don't go downloading anything at will and you will be fine.

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Just out of curiosity, what was so hellish about vista? I mean, being a new OS etc. I thought that maybe MS had at least progressed to purgatory:D . In April I will be able to get Vista for $5 - 10 (university deal) and was thinking of setting up a little partition on my macpro for it... but if it's XP with prettier colors, I think I'll skip it.

YT

16. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

When Vista came out i went to Futureshop and took a look at it and i wasn't too impressed, i didn't get a great look at it but from what i saw i didn't like it AT ALL. It looks like garbage.

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The only time you'll need a virus scanner is if you install Windows on your Mac using Parallels or Bootcamp. Otherwise most mac virus scanners cause more problems than they solve.