After a yr, I'm still a n00b

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8236, Jan 30, 2007.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Ok, so i've had my mbp since its launch, but after many years of Windows I am still having some slight adjustment problems. I tried looking for remedies, but found nothing concrete.

I found out how to cut and move, so that's good. Though a bit different xp, i think this is much more secure.

But what I like to know is, how do I launch an app/file/folder rather than renaming it when i hit enter? lol. The only way I know how to do this is obviously double clicking, but that's on a mouse, not a kb.

:D :apple:

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't know of any way to re-map the function of the Return key in the Finder. The shortcut to open files is command-o, though. I'm surprised you don't know about it after a year. :)

3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

highlight the icon then hit the command (apple) key and down for folders or command o for folders and everything else

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Command-down opens pretty much anything and seems to be the same as command-o.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I concur, they do the same thing.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It is often harder to unlearn old things than to learn new things. You are very patient. It is time for you to buy Switching to the Mac: Tiger Edition by David Pogue. You will learn many things to make your life easier. Best wishes.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The keyboard shortcuts are all listed in the menus... :cool:

Anyway don't worry, unless you are a Terminal guru there is no such thing as a "OS X pro". You can only do what Steve decided that most people need to do on a Mac, everything else is safely locked away.

Just clicking around on a mouse is good enough :)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I use Cmd-Down also, since it pairs nicely with Cmd-Up, which takes you up a level in the hierarchy. :)

Don't worry...keep plugging at it. Drink some more kool aid. You'll get there. But you'll get there faster, honestly, in spite of kool aid jokes, if you suspend the expectation that it work like Windows and just let it work like Mac OS. :)

9. Queso macrumors G4

Would you care to furnish me with examples of this? Maybe you're just unaware of a solution.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

dude da 3l1t3 hax0r ness o ya mad skilz of da winblowz takez time 2 m0v3 to mac.

ok enough of that, somethings just don't happen. If thats not how Steve uses his mac, thats how we don't use our mac. :rolleyes:
    I went crazy when my mouse stopped working and was forced to use just key commands, but I learned alot of the commands.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king