Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
So I've had my MBP C2D since the end of November or there abouts (whenever they were released), and I have this problem now where, after I boot the computer it takes maybe a minute or two for the system to come up and be ready. BUT! When I then go to start programs, the first time I start them takes FOREVER, sometimes over a minute for each program (firefox is the worst).

Is there anyway to speed this up?

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Have you checked to see what programs are starting when you login. system prefs>accounts>login items.

I just went through the log in menu and took out the extra stuff (old usboverdriver stuff, and others). I just restarted, and the first thing I notice is (and this was true before) the quicksilver logo comes up and stays up for 27 seconds. Then, once the computer was stable I launed iCal. It took about 14 seconds to start up, not bad. Then I tried firefox, and it took about 35 seconds.

do these times seem abnormaly long? Is quicksilver bogging that beginning down?

Nevrsadie

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Dark side of the monitor
I am no expert being that I have only had my MBP(c2d with 1gig of ram) for a month, but those times seem extremely long. I dont know if quicksilver is slowing you down, I use quicksilver but dont have it set to load at startup. If I were you I would get rid of all non-neccesary startup programs and try again.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
which items are necessary? I'm experiencing the same problem (though not as severe), but the things I have listed are: Tangerine, iTunesHelper, Microsoft AU Daemon, and System Events.

macguysoft

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
If the above suggestions don't work then maybe a repair permissions will do the trick. Although I do realize that some people doubt that this repairs anything...

OnyX is another good free-alternative to cleaning up your mac and running some maintenance schedules.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
That definitely doesn't sound normal at all. My Mac mini is slower than my eMac was to launch programs when I first boot it up. It boots up in about 20 seconds, then takes about 5 seconds to be ready to use after that. (Quicksilver launches in that time) Then, when I launch Safari, it takes about maybe 3 seconds. I think it's the 5400rpm HD that's the difference. My eMac had a 7200, as far as I know and it was faster to load the Finder and stuff at startup.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
keeping an eye on this thread
I'm having a prob with my MBP (CD 2ghz 2gb) it boots up fine to the log in screen, then when I log in, loads my desktop image and the spotlight logo (no dock to top menu bar)
then it sits like that for about 6 minutes....then everything else (finder, dock, ect) all begin to load....only been happening for a week or so but it's a nightmare and I can't seem to fix it
deleting all start up items didn't help, removing all peripherals didn't help either
nor did repairing permissions...

....here's hoping we all get a fix :)

I REALLY don't wanna have to reinstall OS and all my apps (not because of the apps and OS but because I'd have to re set up all my apple scripts and prefs n stuff)

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
My iMac Core 1 Duo also started doing this a while back. It was REALLY bad, then one day it decided to just load a little quicker. Still, it's really annoying when you have hardware this good taking an age to become useable.

Nevrsadie

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Dark side of the monitor
which items are necessary? I'm experiencing the same problem (though not as severe), but the things I have listed are: Tangerine, iTunesHelper, Microsoft AU Daemon, and System Events.

Out of the four you listed, system events is the only item in my startup menu. So I would guess that its the only neccesary one. I second giving OnyX a try, its free and will run alot of maintenance and optimizing scripts for you. Give it a shot before you try and reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.