After Driving on sidewalk to Avoid School Bus, Woman must wear "Idiot" sign

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

bradl

I think this one we all can agree on and say, "stupid ******* idiot!"

Read, and shake your head in disgust.

Oh.. video is included of her doing it multiple times, plus her getting stopped by police.

Story

BL.

2. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Wow... humans at there finest :p

3. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Yup, what a ****ing idiot. Good lord...

4. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Just saw this a couple of minutes ago, and can't help but completely agree with you.

5. macrumors 65816

i remember when the video was posted and thought it was great that she finally got caught, this is an even better outcome.

6. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

Punishment fits the crime.
    The fine on the other hand, could have been a little steeper.

7. macrumors 603

Driver deserved to be caught and fined, and have their license suspended. The sign part is just medieval. Harks back to the stockade and pillory.

8. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Just made the connection to the Scarlet Letter. I like that judge, they should have handled the Apple v. Samsung case

9. macrumors 65816

Shaming is becoming a more common punishment. Not sure if there are statistics in regards to repeat offendors who are shamed vs not shamed, but hey if it works, its pretty harmless.

10. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Losing face" has a time-honoured tradition in Asian cultures.

I see no harm in this returning.

11. macrumors 603

All depends I suppose if the justice system is supposed to mete out vengeance or, you know, justice. The punishment is supposed to be an fair and unbiased deterrence to to the person committing the crime, and to others. Shaming is personal, and may even be prohibited under the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

The state is not supposed to impose sanctions on people who break the law for our amusement. I take back my comment about the sign portion of the punishment being 'medieval' - goes back to the Roman Empire. I would have hoped the American Empire would have shown a little more maturity over the empire that threw Christians in with lions. Though I have to admit the UFC does resemble gladiators more than a little.

12. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I guess it depends on the underlying reasons behind the shaming.

Some people just won't listen. They are in their own little world, Planet "Me, Myself and I". It's all about them, them, them. They're right, everyone else is wrong. They look the best, dress the best, know the best.

Money? A fine? Pfaah, here's your silly fine money, let me get back to doing what I was doing and stop wasting my time. Important person, important places to go...

A fine is supposed to be a deterrent. Most people like to keep their money, so threatening to take some of it away deters them. But if that isn't effective, then you find another deterrent. If knocking down their social status and perceived self-importance is what wakes them up, then so be it.

I agree the fine should have been higher, though. $250? Try $2500.

13. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

For the rich, even a fine of that size is but a permit to break the law.

IMO the only way to get their attention is through ridicule.

Now, about Lindsay Lohan .........

14. macrumors 65816

its totally the reverse now. The american empire as you call it, has the christians throw everyone else in with the lions now. Or at least they try.

15. macrumors 603

We don't know she is rich. Having to back to traffic school is usually a serious deterrent, even for the rich. Maybe more so for the rich.

16. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Fitting? Hardly. It should be much more servere. She endangered school kids.:eek: Heck, if someone pulled that sort of stunt around my kid's bus, I'd take a wrecking bar and go Gordon Freeman on him.

17. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, William 'D-Fens' Foster in Falling Down would be a tad too severe? :rolleyes:

18. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I would have loved to see someone put a spike strip on the side walk to blow out her tires.

Attached Files:

19. macrumors G3

NT1440

....And the bus driver didn't get in trouble for using a cell phone while driving a bus full of children?

I don't like what she did at all, but I don't find the bus driver's actions acceptable either. He couldn't have asked any of the kids to record it? God knows they'd manage to edit together a nice video and post it online in seconds:p

Put your ****ing phones down in the car people, too many good lives lost because someone can't wait 5 minutes to answer a goddamn text. :mad:

20. macrumors 603

Bus was stopped. Hopefully the driver also hadn't yet opened the doors so there would have been kids to monitor.

21. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Old man, you jest.;) Maybe when my kids are no longer in school, I might mellow out. But right now, my kids DO stand at bus stops and this kind of stuff hits too close to home.

22. macrumors 6502

Scrub175

Well it is Cleveland. In Russia they have a place they make fun of too... Cleveland.

Seriously. Folks are unreal. I often wonder if the role was reversed and she had a child in the situation that she was doing, how she would react. Has anyone tried to Facebook her yet?

23. macrumors 68020

heehee

Here is a longer video, the bus is parked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=89fApjIW0mA#at=36

24. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

While a mean (but gooood) idea that would put the kids at risk. She could lose control and hit someone. I think the way she got stopped was perfect.
    Fine ? > $2500 and 6-12 month no DL would be better. That was really scary.

25. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Every time I see my state in the news, I already know it's going to be embarrassing. I pulled this up on flipboard and immediately thought "great, another Ohio story."

The video was great though. The cop was right there. To not see him proves she would never have noticed a kid either.