after effect where to install

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Feb 26, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I might be able get a copy of after effects but where will it run better on my iMac or my powerbook? (see sig for specs)
    Its not universal so i'm thinking my powerbook, but i thought i would throw it out their

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I'd say performence wise, it'll be just about even... I've installed it on my 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, and it runs much better than expected (Quite a bit faster than my iBook)... I'd probably install it on the iMac since it has more ram though, also the faster graphics card should help somewhat too.

3. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

try the imac you have a bigger screen and a bigger graphics card, although it should run fine on both, just render on the imac its much more efficient

4. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i put it on my powerbook so i can take it to class and not use the PCs. I did a ram preview and it took forever. I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM, to another gig, you think its worth it?
    I've been saving my projects to my flash drive (2 gigs) you think if i put it on my external drive, it will run better?

5. mohaukachi macrumors member

sage advice

i use after effects all the time and i can give you some advice. the intel/ppc thing was figgured out recently and i would say that your imac will scream with AE versus your PB. the problem with AE on intel is that rosetta has a memory cap that is based on your total system memory. if you limit after effects to only use slightly less than that cap, it hauls ass. here's the link to all the info you will need to get that working.

now on the subject of storage... AE project files are like blueprints. the actual guts and heft of the project goes elsewhere in your source files (psd quicktime etc) and your renders. saving project files to a flash drive is fine but i would recommend a hard drive for your work. the reliability and size flexibility will be a lifesaver in the long run.

in the long run you can always set up your PB to be a render node. hope this helps.

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

thanks i'll give it a go.
    BTW i'm using 6.5 (that's what my school has)