After Effects?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MIDI_EVIL, Sep 16, 2006.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Ok, i've had a burning desire to delve into 2d animation, and i have an inclination that After Effects is what i need?

I'm not really interested in the program from the motion graphics / titles perspective, but i would really love to experiment with short films / 2d animations. Is After Effects right for me?

Also, as a filmmaker, i would be interested to know if it has good colour correction facilities for stylisation?

I have had a look around, and i know all about CreativeCow, which has fueled my interest even more.

Check out this link http://www.joyriderfilms.co.uk/las_palmas.htm and the video for 'Song With No Words' by 'Sweatmaster'.

Also check out the other Sweatmaster video, the guy who made these is incredible!!!

That's the kind of work i want to be animating.

Rich.

2. TheFuzz macrumors regular

that site isn't responding so i'm not really sure what you're after, but after effects is good for all of those. it's got a lot of color correcting capability, a little like photoshop for video/film meaning you can adjust the curves, levels, etc. of your footage. the only problem is if your footage is dv, there isn't a lot of color information there to begin with. shake is perhaps a better color corrector and autodesk's combustion may be a little better at compositing (though neither it nor AE are anywhere near shake for compositing), but after effects does all of them really well. again, if i could view that joyrider films site, it would be easier understanding what you're after; any other examples?

3. Oreckel macrumors newbie

Well...

After Effects is excellent at doing things like rendering - like text overlays, motion blurred elements, color correction is huge, blurs, lens flares, effects, ripples, compositing tools, etc. Yes, it carries 2d animation abilities, but if you're trying to do a cartoon or something you might be in trouble. It's the equivalent of Photoshop, and I think you'll want the equivalent of Illustrator.

My advice to you would be to pick up Adobe's 30-day free trial and experiment with their masking abilities. That'll be the only real way to know.

Best of luck!

4. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I don't know why the link didn't work as it works when i click it.

go to -

http://www.joyriderfilms.co.uk > Enter > Las Palmas > Sweatmaster video 'song with no words' (also the other video)

Thanks for your responses, when you see the videos you might be able to guide me a little more.

Rich.

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

6. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Just an update.

I contacted the design house directly, and they use Maya, After Effects and Photoshop.

For anyone else interested.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Rich.