Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramtag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I bought my Macbook Pro 15" early Feb of 2011. Last year, I've customized it to a 1TB Hybrid Drive and 16gb RAM. Recently I had problems with it (gray screen no logo) and particularly on the graphics (distortion). Recently I ran into this Repair Extension Program

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

To cut the story short, I brought it to apple store for repair and they said it was covered by the warranty.

They ended up replacing my Logic board. Replacing my 1 TB Hybrid Drive to a standard SATA 500gb HD, and my 16GB RAM to a 8GB RAM. Without any costs on my part. (WHICH IS AWESOME!)

When I asked the Genius Admin, he just said that 16gb causes issues in this system. And they only recommend 8GB. Why? It worked fine for me. Also for the HD, the notes says BAD SECTOR that's why they replaced it. But when I got home put the hybrid disk (they returned my old HD and RAM) in an enclosure and run the utility disk tests on it, everything was fine.

So I guess my questions is, was my HD really damaged? and 16gb RAM causes problems for Macbook Pro early 2011?

Skiesrider

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2016
I had this issue 3 years ago. Because my laptop was out of warranty and this program didn't exist I just gave up, managed to use screenshare and used my laptop as a media server for 3 years. I learned about this program last Friday, so yesterday I booked an appointment at the Genius Bar in my Apple Store here in Abu Dhabi, I went today and arrived promptly at 7:20pm. They confirmed that they had the parts available onsite (a brand new MacBook Pro 15" early 2011 logic board) and the same guy that dealt with me at the Genius Bar was the same electronic technician intended to deal with my laptop. He told me that he can get it repaired tonight. I left the shop at 8:05pm (that is the time when I got the email from Apple with the work order) at 9:30pm the technician called me saying the laptop is fixed and ready to be collected tomorrow from 10am. I got the pickup email just few minutes later. This was the best experience ever regarding technical support.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So I guess my questions is, was my HD really damaged? and 16gb RAM causes problems for Macbook Pro early 2011?

I would imagine that the HDD failed some portion of their test, and their specs state that 8GB is the maximum supported RAM. The CPU itself supports 16GB RAM, no normally it isn't an issue.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
If you have upgraded RAM or HDD they will always replace it with the spec that the machine shipped with. As far as I'm aware it's done like that to eliminate the chance of the original fault being caused/made worse by a 3rd party installed part.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I had this issue 3 years ago. Because my laptop was out of warranty and this program didn't exist I just gave up, managed to use screenshare and used my laptop as a media server for 3 years. I learned about this program last Friday, so yesterday I booked an appointment at the Genius Bar in my Apple Store here in Abu Dhabi, I went today and arrived promptly at 7:20pm. They confirmed that they had the parts available onsite (a brand new MacBook Pro 15" early 2011 logic board) and the same guy that dealt with me at the Genius Bar was the same electronic technician intended to deal with my laptop. He told me that he can get it repaired tonight. I left the shop at 8:05pm (that is the time when I got the email from Apple with the work order) at 9:30pm the technician called me saying the laptop is fixed and ready to be collected tomorrow from 10am. I got the pickup email just few minutes later. This was the best experience ever regarding technical support.

That is fantastic. I am 25 miles from Apple HQ and it takes days to get anything fixed at an Apple store.

ljjycss

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
If you have upgraded RAM or HDD they will always replace it with the spec that the machine shipped with. As far as I'm aware it's done like that to eliminate the chance of the original fault being caused/made worse by a 3rd party installed part.
Not always true. I left my 2011 mbp in Apple Store for motherboard replacement. They kept my upgraded ssd and ram in the machine. I think it depends on your local Apple Store genius whether they are familiar with custom hardware or not. Also, a non-Apple hard drive is not going to pass the system test they do in Apple Store, that might be the reason.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Anybody that has installed a SSHD hybrid drive in their mac, and takes it to the apple store, or to a apple authorized repair shop, will get a failed drive message.

The reason is apple never used drives like that in any mac, and the apple AST/MRI testing program, insta fails it.

If you take your mac in for service and it has a drive like that, make sure to tell them to IGNORE hard disk because they will think its bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.