After logic board replacement, Macbook won't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chimaki, Jan 12, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

So I've had a problem with my internet connection since a logic board replacement last week. It recognizes the network, but won't connect to the internet. When checking network diagnostics it says Self-Assigned IP or something to that effect. So on the home network I powered down the router and cable modem and this worked. The problem is now with a network at school. This network requires a webpage sign in for access, like wireless found in airports, etc. When I open either safari or firefox I simply get the screen that shows not connected to the internet, not the re-direct to the sign in. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So you can connect to networks, just not to the internet? And your home connection is stable now?

3. macrumors 68020

toolbox

If your logic board has changed it is likely that you have been given a new mac address. Do you have mac filtering set up on you router? You will need to update the mac address in there.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

correct.

not on the school network, from what i can tell. its set up in a similar fashion to airports/hotel/cafe wireless. you connect to network, open browser, and then get a re-direct to the sign-in page. in my present scenario I open browser and get nothing. I check the network diagnostics and I get the self-assigned IP thing that I also had on the home network before a reboot of the whole network.

5. macrumors 68020

toolbox

Ok that makes sense, also just check to make sure there are no proxy settings in network preferences. If there are proxy settings then it will stop you from doing anything - The apple store might have used them to download updates or what ever

6. macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, I think.

I picked up my Macbook today from the store after having the Logic Board and Superdrive replaced. I stupidly didn't check to see if everything was in working order, and now I can't reach the internet. Its nearly two hours of driving back and forth to the closest Apple Store so I really don't want to go if I don't have to.

My PC's are all connected to my router via wifi and reach the internet fine. I also tried to connect to a neighbor's wifi and couldn't reach the internet that way from the Macbook.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Applecare, and they didn't know how to fix it (despite being very polite and patient with me while I restarted my router).

I tried the proxies but I haven't been able to find a real solution on my own or on the internet. Help!!!

7. macrumors newbie

same problem!

no help here??? :confused:

8. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tried trashing the airport and network preferences, or the simpler method of creating a new user to see if the problem is still there.

Preferences can get messed up with HW changes ... if it still has problems with a new user doing an SMC reset is usually the last resort before calling Apple Care for repair.

1. new user eliminates preferences as a problem.

2. SMC reset and pram reset eliminates the simple HW issues.