After shipping: MDD G4 won't turn on, power light blinks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zeke, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Zeke macrumors 6502

So I just traded my Dual MDD G4 and when he received it yesterday it started doing the thing where when you push the power button it just pulses and turns off (only the light, nothing else). He's tried resetting the PMU, changing the battery. Any ideas? It was working fine when it left me (at least before I installed a 2nd optical drive before packing it up which is what made me think the PMU needed to be reset). Anyone have any ideas as to how to get this thing working again? He pulled the RAM and reseated it, made sure the processor was fully seated, pushed down on the video card to no avail. Has anyone ever had this work by keeping it powered off for a long time (with no battery)? Thanks for the help.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I've had that happen. I pressed the little black button located on the motherboard and it turned on fine afterwards.

Try unplugging it from the socket and let it cool down for 20 minutes. Reset the PMU, plug it back in, and try powering it up again.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

My Quicksilver did this too.

I traced it to a loose memory card, and still had to reset the PMU. My PMU actually was a pain, as the first 20 times it didn't work, I was about to give up hope when all of a sudden I got the famous macintosh startup chime. I almost kissed my computer, but I didn't want to give it the wrong impression. :D

4. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the guy I sold it to gave up on it working so I'm shipping it to the place I got my processor card who diagnoses for free (and warrants both the logic board and processor) so they'll get it working and ship it back. Thanks guys.

Stupid PMUs...why can't they just work normally. Apple kind of pisses me off lately...you never hear about PCs that don't start up because of something stupid like this.

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Uh, yeah you do.

And your friend should have checked to see if all cards are fully in their sockets. Shipping may have rattled one loose. This has happened to me, and tightening everything done and hitting the PMU button fixed everything. Though, it may be fauty, but a full troubleshooting yourself saves a load of time sending it to and fro.

6. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I told him to check that too...he reseated the memory, video card, and pushed down on the processor to make sure nothing had come loose. The only thing he may not have noticed was if the power supply wire had come loose from the motherboard (but he took it to the Apple store so I hope they would have noticed that). Basically, they told him it's the logic board (of course) which is ridiculous. If Apple didn't tell everyone the logic board was bad I might believe them but...well, I don't think so.

7. ian.threlfall macrumors newbie

ian.threlfall

haha I am an avid PC user, and yes they have a wonderfull ability not to start up for the strangest of reasons! :)

But yeah my quicksilver at work is having similar trouble

And I traced to the memory (Or lack of it! :p )

So its more than likley the memory, resetting PMU and PRAM is also a good idea.

8. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

cant wait to get this computer back zeke!

thanks all for helpin us out! hopefully it will run the new aperture program well...!

collin

9. csimon2 macrumors member

I know this thread has been dead a while, but thought I'd give it a shot by bumping it back up... I was wondering if any one ever found a solution to this issue, as I appear to be having the exact same problem? I recently moved, where everything was working fine for my Dual 1.25GHz MDD in my old home, and I placed the machine in the bed of my truck (carpeted and covered) and when I tried to get it to run at my new home all I get on this system are the same symptoms as described in this thread. Thanks in advance for any help any one can provide.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i'm having the same problems with my 1.25DP and 1.25SP MDD's :(

11. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

what a baseball was your problem? lol

so it was the motherboard?
    that sucks i hope i can figure out my problem with both of mine :(

13. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha, took me a sec to get that.

Have you tried all the PMU reset stuff? What about trying to reseat the processor cards? That's the most likely...

I actually think it ended up not being the MLB. That was out before this happened. This got shipped and stopped working and then ended up being something simple like the PMU or something like that.

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

yeah i tried all that, i even tried swapping the processor cards between the two and still did the same thing. i'm just gonna list all the parts on ebay lol:D
    thanks for your help, just seen how old this thread initially was...