After surviving 20 million years, China's goddess of the river driven to extinction

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Dec 18, 2006.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The Independent

The price of progress?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Get used to hearing stories like this. Thin end of the wedge.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I have hope that they may return at some point. I try to be optimistic.

4. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

I think at this point in history we're well past the thin end when it come to extinction.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ya, it won't be too long before the earth can't take it anymore.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Saw this headline today too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ogy.html?in_article_id=423523&in_page_id=1965

7. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. 90% of species on Earth will be gone in 100 years. Coral bleaching, bottom trawling and pollution ought to pretty much kill off the ocean food chain. Deforestation, desertification and pollution will do the same on land.

All thanks to one particularly stupid and selfish type of ape which thinks it's better than all the other species. And even then they won't get it.

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

This really sucks :(

Too bad now they have to update this page along with a few others. Come on people, the alarms started going off before I was born!

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I can't help but think that buying Chinese made goods (ie. all computers) isn't a good thing.

10. Queso macrumors G4

If it wasn't China it would be elsewhere. Unless we start making things on the Moon it's always going to cause some form of damage. Our problem stems from our obsession with getting rid of things simply because there's something newer available instead of waiting until we need to replace the old one. And I know, I'm as guilty of that as everyone else.

Well, that and there being about twice as many people as the planet can sensibly support anyway. Every time an extra one of us is born, we take the room that another creature used to occupy.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I agree, though the Chinese aren't exactly hot on environmental issues. Then again most places aren't that much better.

12. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiousity, (trust me, not starting anything here)... While I do think it is sad that animals die off, hasnt this been happening for millions and millions of years? No matter how many die off or how bad the earth's ecosystem is damaged, life finds a way to go on. Its even sadder to think that animals are dieing because of man's greed and "advancement", but if it wasnt one thing, it would be another. Us, an asteroid, evolution... :(

I'll poor some Colt 45 on the curb for my fallen dolphin hommies and keep my fingers crossed that they arent totally gone yet, just rare.

13. Soton Speed macrumors member

14. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

humans arent exactly the best thing to happen to earth. the real sad part is that prolly by the time enough ppl are willing to make a change it will be too late.

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Funny how it's so much sadder when it's a cute animal eh? :rolleyes:

16. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

For me, it's the fact that we are robbing ourselves of these wonderful pleasures of living in a world that is filled with wonderful things, but we choose instead to concrete over them, usually for selfish advances in monetary gains.

Have you ever looked around at a particuarly nasty hell-hole of a town/city and wondered if you just simply removed the fact that this city existed what was here before? What simply beautiful natural things were there before?

17. Soton Speed macrumors member

Surely though the irony is that man is part of nature?

Beavers have not yet had the necessity to build huge damns, nor ants construct massive mounds to house their ever expanding colonies, for example.

This does not exclude humans from exercising their judgement, indeed it should be an imperative given homo sapiens unique position.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Man is part of nature, but believes himself above it. Hence we think our needs outweigh everything else's and start doing utterly stupid things like bottom trawling.

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

didnt you people watch the Simpsons where the dolphins took over the world?

good riddance!

:p

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

Although I agree with your point, I don't think that any species gives thought to how their actions affect nature either. i.e. my beagle would single-handedly hunt squirrels to extinction if he had the ability ;)

21. Queso macrumors G4

But your Beagle has no concept of the future or the damage he would be doing in his actions, so you can't really blame him.

Humans on the other hand have plenty of conceptual skills.

22. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Perhaps the Chinese were operating on information gained in articles from a reliable scientific reference here in the U.S.A.

Article 1

Article 2

Seriously though, this is sad news, but only one among many soon to come. Its time to decide whether to embrace the feeling of helplessness, or to start looking at similar issues close to home and embracing a feeling of responsibility, and then getting involved.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, I don't know. Economic development is Priority One in China. Conservation probably doesn't even rank. The Three Gorges Dam (also on the Yangtze) was generally regarded as an environmental catastrophe, but the Chinese government went ahead with it anyway. Note also from the article that conservationists consider the Yangtze to be a dead river. It takes quite of bit of official not caring to kill a river that big.