After the Macbook comes out: Ibook pricing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Losium, May 14, 2006.

1. Losium macrumors newbie

There has been some talk about the prices of the current Ibooks going down on these boards, including someone that could currently buy a G4 via education for 750 USD. (My school it's 919 USD)
    Would anyone like to venture to guess about how much the prices will go down? I think I'd like to get my hands on a 'new' G4 Ibook after the macbooks come out.

Currently, with a local seller, it seems like the used base model costs about 800, which is really expensive in my opinion for a used machine. I also saw another post commenting on the fact that Macs tend to sell for a bit more than they are worth on Ebay, so let me ask this: Where can I get a used mac for a 'fair' price? :p

Ideally I would like to get a new or 'like new' Ibook for 600-700 dollars.

2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Hehehe. I sold mine for 1050 on ebay(bought it for 1150).

But you`ll get a good deal if you keep tracking ebay for a few days. Also I m not sure if you could still use your edu discount on iBook G4 once MB is released. Coz iBook G4 will be gone from Apple website as soon as MB launches. You might have to get a refurb then Or apple might put the remaining G4 iBook G4 on sale on it`s website. Keep trying your luck with ebay till then.

3. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I dont think Apple will drop the price. Did the prices on the imac or mini drop?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To date, in every instance where an Intel Mac has replaced a PPC one, the latter has remained for sale for some time, with the possible exception of the Mini (I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see it there now, and don't remember it having been there). That being said, the new ones don't seem to carry huge discounts. The used market should be good, though. :)

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Yep that is where the best discounts will be had. Apple isnt going to slash dramatically.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the thought has occurred to me from time to time to sell my iBook and get the last rev G4 iBook to replace it, if the investment is not too high... :eek:

7. Smallville macrumors regular

I'm hoping the refurb market sweetens up a bit.

I'm in the market to get a cheap, but good iBook for the fall football season (I'm a sports writer). Keeping up with stats by paper and pen is for the birds when I can just type it into a doc, write my story, then download it to the office server.

As long as the battery will run for a few hours while running only Word, it's good enough for me.

8. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Why does everybody think the macbook will be the same price as an ibook?

MBP Starts at 1999 I think the MB will start at 1199 atleast and high end one
    will be $1399 atleast.

9. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

the MBP is the same price as the last 15 inch powerbook, why would the Macbook price change from the ibook?