After the newness has worn off...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coday182, Sep 9, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Jamestown, IN
    Ok I have had my first mac for 3 or 4 weeks now. I purchased it off of eBay (1.5 core solo) at a steal of a deal. I am very happy with it as far as speed and reliability. It was cool using all the OS X programs and iLife. Overall I am really glad I made the switch. However... the thing that frustrates me is that all the stuff I want to use it for will cost even more money. As of now I have to buy Microsoft, a web design program (preferrabley dreamweaver 8), and various other little programs. I guess it is really not that big of a deal. It's just that I'm used to windows and how it comes with Word and Excel. Like I said, though, I am still glad I made the switch. If you think about it, Mac makes up for it with other programs windows doesn't even come close to (i.e. widgets).

Sorry if its a wasted post. It's just kinda sad when you make a big purchase then realize you gotta spend more money on top of it to get what you really want. lol.
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Windows doesn't come with those. Some new PCs are sold with Office at additional cost, but that's really just a matter of buying the software.
  3. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I don't know what came preinstalled on your Mac, but these days they all come with iLife at least and probably a demo of iWork. Plus, OS X itself comes with a lot more useful software than Windows XP, IMHO. Overall I'd say Macs come with a greater software bundle than PCs, but of course it depends on what PC you buy.

It does suck if you have an expensive software library for Windows and need to get Mac versions. Keep in mind there are sometimes good built-in, freeware, or pay-for app solutions for what you need, OS X only alternatives which you might not know about.
  4. uchuff macrumors member

Mar 25, 2006
    Check out NVU, as a free alternative to Dreamweaver. MS Office is expensive, but then it is on Windows too. There are other alternatives such as Open Office or the set of Aqua apps based on it - Neo Office.
  5. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    Wow.. I also always considered buying Microsoft, but I just never had enough money.. :D
  6. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2006
    Might be out of line here, but if it's too expensive, why not just use Boot Camp and then use your old software? That would be a free solution.
  7. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Jul 17, 2002
    Corvallis, OR
    Boot Camp can't really be considered free, as you have to buy a copy of Windows ($89 for Home Edition OEM, or $139 for Pro OEM). However, depending on the list of apps that you want to run, you might check out the free public beta of CrossOver Office. It's good for 60 days, and if it works for you, you'll be able to buy it for $59. This would allow you to (potentially) use your Windows apps until you're ready to buy the Mac versions, or indefinitely if there is no Mac version. I'm doing this with my wife to ween her off of her old Dell which she uses for only three apps anymore: Project, Visio, and a legal app. We'll see how well CrossOver works as soon as our new IntelMac arrives.