After Update, Safari Won't Launch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by decksnap, Aug 10, 2004.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

A guy here just installed the 10.3.5 update as well as the security update and now he can't get Safari to lauch anymore. First things he tried were trashing his plist and restarting, but have had no success. Any ideas?

2. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Had the same thing... i downloaded safari again, and installed it, and there is was again... with all links still there.....

So i advice, install safari again... http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Cuckoo

edit: link added

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Right- but is that the latest version and contain whatever security was added from the security update?

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

After installing Safari again, in the software update, there wasn't the option for again a patch.... that led me to believe the patch was still in place....

Although im not sertain as to what extend the Software update functions 'inteligently' or just logs was is installed. <interesting question>

Cuckoo

5. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

Had this guy installed the developer betas of 10.3.5? And the crash is actually happening whenever he loads a web page which has some JavaScript in it? And if he goes into the prefs and turns off JavaScript it doesn't crash anymore?

Then the JavaScript framework got out of sync with the WebCore framework. I'm sure this is not the best solution but it can be handled by replacing the JavaScript framework with one from the last release version of the system.

6. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

No - not at all. He just downloaded the standard update and security update- and Safari doesn't even 'bounce', or when opening from the apps folder shows no signs of life. Just won't open at all. He has now re-downloaded the 1.2 Safari from Apple but I am worried that the PNG security fix from the security update will have got lost in the wash. Anybody know?

7. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

No developer betas, no second OSs, just a plain 10.3.4, upgraded to 10.3.5 and away it went.