Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Originally posted by Moxiemike
but remember, it's just a tool. who cares if you can render video quickly if your video sucks arse. :)

True very true, like my teachers use to say "You cant make SH*T shine". True but having such monsters of a computer it takes alot of time out of the equation. Plus if your making **** movies anyway where does one get the money to buy such equipment in the first place? But then again I've seen some really SH*T work done by pros on good equipment.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Alte22a
True very true, like my teachers use to say "You cant make SH*T shine". True but having such monsters of a computer it takes alot of time out of the equation. Plus if your making **** movies anyway where does one get the money to buy such equipment in the first place? But then again I've seen some really SH*T work done by pros on good equipment.

hah, you answered your own question.

not to mention, some people earn money independently of their computers (hard to believe) and so can use that $$ to buy computers which will help them make their **** much faster... ;)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
all i've gotta say is:

"my c0ck is bigger than your c0ck"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who cares about what system you have... the question is, will you be PRODUCTIVE on it. ;)
Sure, this is a ***** envy contest for some people, but I and I'm sure others enjoy seeing what sort of setup other Mac users really have or will get, not what their dream system is. Once you factor price and the real world in, the compromises are where most of us end up, and I like seeing where people think it's worth spending the money.

For example, there aren't many of us claiming a 23" cinema display, since for most a 17" LCD or 19" CRT is enough, and we can't afford thousands for the bragging rights.

Right now, I'm happy with my DP533 and 19" CRT--it's served me well, and could easily continue to do so for another 2 or 3 years if I wanted, and I would hardly be embarassed about it. But, now seems like a good time to buy, so I'll probably go as all out as I can manage and then enjoy it. And yes, the extra speed will make me more productive.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Anticipat3
Displays:
Samsung Syncmaster 172T Flat Panel

I just bought two 172T silver Flat Panels the other day... freak'n great LCDs. 60% of the cost of an Apple LCD, slightly sharper image, dual input, and better warranty.

And I hope everyone knows I'll be buying your $10K systems a year from now for $2K

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I'll have my current Dual 867 G4 with a Superdrive and 19" CRT monitor, and hopefully a 1.6 GHz G5 if my parents let me buy it(I plan on using the $50 a month payment plan).

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA

You'd be surprised at what i;ve seen. Some of the crappiest designers I know use the best equipment.

One of my favorite photographers, a friend of mine's mom, uses disposable cameras.

And her photos got into an arts fest as an emerging artist. And yet, I know some people who are professionals who have 40k equipment set ups who take crappy pictures.

A friend of mine got a bunch of his paintings copied by a large imaging house here in town. He paid 80 bucks per shot, for about 20 paintings and the images were CRAP. Noisy, one was blurry, I had to spend tons of time in PS post processing these, which was supposedly included....

So yea. You can have the best equipment but your can not be worth a crap.

Or you can shoot award winning Scottish landscapes on a disposable, printed at Wal Mart and have a brilliant amazing shot. ;)

So good luck with your g5's. Or your super g4 systems. Or whatever.

I'll let my skills speak for themselves. I could outdesign a lot of people using g5's with only a Mac II, Pagemaker 2 and Illustrator 88. You know why? I have the best computer around, and I know how to use it- My mind. :)

;)

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
You'd be surprised at what i;ve seen. Some of the crappiest designers I know use the best equipment.

One of my favorite photographers, a friend of mine's mom, uses disposable cameras.

And her photos got into an arts fest as an emerging artist. And yet, I know some people who are professionals who have 40k equipment set ups who take crappy pictures.

A friend of mine got a bunch of his paintings copied by a large imaging house here in town. He paid 80 bucks per shot, for about 20 paintings and the images were CRAP. Noisy, one was blurry, I had to spend tons of time in PS post processing these, which was supposedly included....

Or you can shoot award winning Scottish landscapes on a disposable, printed at Wal Mart and have a brilliant amazing shot. ;)

I'll let my skills speak for themselves. I could outdesign a lot of people using g5's with only a Mac II, Pagemaker 2 and Illustrator 88. You know why? I have the best computer around, and I know how to use it- My mind. :)

;)
I agree with you on that, I know someone who makes films using Avid on a 9600.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
Well, if this was a "my c0ck is bigger than your's" thread, it's really not getting anywhere. Saying that "I'm smarter than you" or "I'm more creative" is just the same thing as bragging with equipment. What I believe is most important is that everything is good enough for YOU. It's all about personality and individuality. Not about comparison. As long as you've got equipment you're happy with, then fine, and if you're making sh*tty products and earn a lot of money then OK, who's judging the products anyway? I'm quite sure every productive person makes as good products as possible based on the knowledge and creativity they've got. Saying that something is crappy is just another way to compare and judge without reason. It really doesn't matter for your own good. What's good, on the other hand, is to observe and experience and then base your own skills and knowledge on the positive impressions. I don't say "this is the way", but I'm just giving you a thought.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Originally posted by Makosuke
Sure, this is a ***** envy contest for some people, but I and I'm sure others enjoy seeing what sort of setup other Mac users really have or will get, not what their dream system is. Once you factor price and the real world in, the compromises are where most of us end up, and I like seeing where people think it's worth spending the money.

For example, there aren't many of us claiming a 23" cinema display, since for most a 17" LCD or 19" CRT is enough, and we can't afford thousands for the bragging rights.

I couldn't agree more. I think most of people who are shelling out this year might be looking else where for their displays, I my self included. Been using Mitsubishis for a while now and the're great for a fraction of the cost. This means that my company can spend money in other areas like a decent coffee maker :D

On a more serious note we could spend the extra cash on high quality scanners and printers etc... But its good to shout about your equipment here but the reason that I posted here is to see if my investment is worth it and hear others out on opinion on other third party equipment to accompany the G5.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by Zenith
Well, if this was a "my c0ck is bigger than your's" thread, it's really not getting anywhere. Saying that "I'm smarter than you" or "I'm more creative" is just the same thing as bragging with equipment. What I believe is most important is that everything is good enough for YOU. It's all about personality and individuality. Not about comparison. As long as you've got equipment you're happy with, then fine, and if you're making sh*tty products and earn a lot of money then OK, who's judging the products anyway? I'm quite sure every productive person makes as good products as possible based on the knowledge and creativity they've got. Saying that something is crappy is just another way to compare and judge without reason. It really doesn't matter for your own good. What's good, on the other hand, is to observe and experience and then base your own skills and knowledge on the positive impressions. I don't say "this is the way", but I'm just giving you a thought.
Hear, hear. Some of us don't have unlimited funds to spend on computers and want to hear about how others might have saved money on certain components while still remaining productive. That's the main point of this thread anyway.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

;)

Of course, everyone knows that. But if all it takes is your mind, then why did the mac community spend the last few years bitching about how slow the pro macs were? Look, if you picked up Tiger Wood's golf clubs, you wouldn't play like him. And if he used crappy clubs, he'd still be very good. But no matter how skilled he is, he's still gonna use the best (legal) equipment available to him, and it's not just because that equipment is impressively expensive.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Damn long quotes. Sometimes you can just snip out the parts of the quote that aren't relevant to your post. Just a thought. ;)

Anyway, the best part of this thread is when people mention the type of monitors people own. The setup of your Macs isn't going to vary too much, but the monitors........mmmmmm, it's just great to know that not everybody can afford (or bothers) to purchase an Apple display. Sometimes, I get the "impression" that many people around here own an Apple display when it's obviously not the case at all. Its just nice to know that we're all (or many of us) are in the same boat and suffer from the same limitations regarding income, even though it may not seem like it when things like "Cinema Displays" and other expensive gadgets and software is discussed here on such a regular basis. I think people forget that others are just "discussing" these products, and don't actually own it themselves. Impressions of seemingly "unlimited incomes" of a large number of members have been squashed.

This is a good reason for this thread, me thinks. ;)

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Originally posted by QCassidy352
Of course, everyone knows that. But if all it takes is your mind, then why did the mac community spend the last few years bitching about how slow the pro macs were? Look, if you picked up Tiger Wood's golf clubs, you wouldn't play like him. And if he used crappy clubs, he'd still be very good. But no matter how skilled he is, he's still gonna use the best (legal) equipment available to him, and it's not just because that equipment is impressively expensive.

All Good equipment is expensive because of all the processes of making, researching and testing. But its always nice to own nice equipmen eh;)

But hey all the top end stuff never really flys off the shelves anyway. usually the middle model that consumers are most interested in. Even though everybody wants the all dancing all singing top notch machine, most of the buyers end up with the mid option. Look at the sales of the iPod, the 30Gigs aren't selling as well as the 15GB right even though these buyers wish for the 30Gb.

Back to topic we are all here to talk about our setups or potential setups for our G5. Everybody here wants to have the best setup possible depending on buget. So the best way to do is to listen to what other people have experience, instead of wasting time, money and effort doing it your self. we are all here and part our a minority computer users so lets all stick together. was I being a bit harsh? :rolleyes:

tazo

macrumors 68040
I think after a while and you have all these great products, you lose sight of what is really most important. Being a mac user.

remember the first time you opened your new mac?
I do. Everyday I think to myself, thank god my parents listened to me enough to buy me an imac.

You may have a mac and a thousand cinema displays, but you are still a mac user like the rest of us. Thats whats really important.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
this is like the macrumors high roller thread.... i wish i had a g5 on pre-order to talk about...

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
Originally posted by tazo
I think after a while and you have all these great products, you lose sight of what is really most important. Being a mac user.

remember the first time you opened your new mac?
I do. Everyday I think to myself, thank god my parents listened to me enough to buy me an imac.

You may have a mac and a thousand cinema displays, but you are still a mac user like the rest of us. Thats whats really important.

Man, I remember the moment when I got the bondi blue iMac back in -98. It was great, but getting a Cube in 2001 was even better! What a work of art... Now I really look forward to the day in september when I'm opening a box saying "PowerMac G5". I don't even dare thinking about how badly my social life will suffer from that moment on... :p

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
After your G5 arrives, my setup will look like this:

PowerMac G5
PowerBook G4 500
external 80GB firewire drive
15 GB iPod

That is, assuming Fedex makes a big mistake... Not likely, but you never know.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by zarathustra
Whaaaaa? So the gov't in the UK pays for Nintendos and all those computers? Hard to believe... :rolleyes:

I get money from the gov becuase I am dyslexic, the money is only allowed to be used on equipment that can help me (computers). Of course the games consoles were bought with my own money. I have actually spent more money on my 4 Macs than my 8 PCs since each PC only cost me about $600 to make, while the Powerbooks cost me $3000 each and the other Macs cost me around $1500 each.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Zenith
Man, I remember the moment when I got the bondi blue iMac back in -98. It was great, but getting a Cube in 2001 was even better! What a work of art... Now I really look forward to the day in september when I'm opening a box saying "PowerMac G5". I don't even dare thinking about how badly my social life will suffer from that moment on... :p

The enjoyment of getting a new computer only lasts about a week, so I doubt you will miss out much on your social life.

MacRonin

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
in denial…
PowerMac G5
-dual 2GHz 64bit CPUs
-8GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
-SuperDrive
-Two 250GB S-ATA HDDs (OS X software RAID implemented)
-wishing for nVidea QuadroFX1000 OpenGL card...

23" Apple Cinema Display (hooked to ADC port)

18" Wacom Cintiq LCD/graphics tablet (hooked to DVI-I port)

Keyboard directly in front of me, Cintiq directly behind keyboard with upper edge of Cintiq meeting lower edge of Cinema Display

Code:
                                        *   Cinema Display
                              q *
                            i
                         t
                      n
                    i
keyboard  C

Maya & Shake

Nuff said, true believers...

(well, code doesn't hold the formatting, and straight posting does just that, straightens out the entire lines... But you folks get the jist of it...)

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Mine will be:

Powermac G5 2x2ghz
1 GB RAM
160GB ATA
Radeon 9600 pro
Superdrive

14" 900Mhz G3 Ibook
512 MB RAM
40GB HD

My Current Monitor is a LaCie 19" Electron BlueII, which I LOVE....but with all this new space on my desk from replacing my wife's junky PC with an Ibook, the LaCie 22" is REALLY tempting me. I'd love a Cinema display...but just too damn expensive. If the 20" Cinema Display was around $800, I'd snap that puppy up. I might even drop the cash for a 23" if it was around $1500. IMHO, there's just no justification for spending that much on a display. Granted, I would kill for a 23" CD, but buying one defies logic.

negrito

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
Switzerland
my setup will look as follows:

- Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz
- 1.5 GB RAM
- superdrive
- 160 GB harddisk
- ati radeon 9600 pro 64 MB
- bluetooth

- Apple Studio Display 17" (is this one ok or can you propose other displays with high quality colour reproduction)

for CHF 5430.- or USD 4028.- ...yes! everthing is more expensive here...

AND

- Intel Pentium II 500 Mhz
- 256 MB RAM
- CD-ReWriter
- 80 GB harddisk
- nvidia geforce 2 MX 32 MB

- Philips 17b CRT monitor 17"

so this will be my first apple product i will buy :) and also the first computer since about 6 years :D.
my creativity never related on a computer because it is a tool like a pencil but it's a very useful tool. if there is no creativity no computer can resolve that but in this thread it was the goal to see the systems and discuss the specific use of those systems.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
Currently a Bondi Blue 233mhz iMac

The plan is:
Put a 500mhz G4 in the iMac and max the RAM
Get a 2nd hand last gen Pismo with (or put in) a G4 500mhz and max the RAM.
802.11g links for both of them.

Then a dual 2ghz G5 with 4GB RAM. (or similar as by then it will hopefully Rev b)

The G5 will come after xmas when I reckon there'll be workable ways of linking to home stereo and TV to fully digitise everything. (I'm in the UK so TIVO home media is not an option)
An Eyegonomic screen with the G5 (probably with the Pismo first)

Any comment on the Pismo?

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by negrito

my creativity never related on a computer because it is a tool like a pencil but it's a very useful tool. if there is no creativity no computer can resolve that but in this thread it was the goal to see the systems and discuss the specific use of those systems.

Most people that are true creative types and work in a creative field requiring a compuer know this. Then there are friends of mine who believe that trying to show photoshop skills in a portfolio is the key to a job.

Like he said, a computer is a tool. Until they come up with a program that will let you input the parameters and spit out a concept for you, it will never be anyhting more than an output device. I don't get it!? Do people really believe that before computers came around there was no good design, advertsing, film, or music? The computer can only give us the ability to reproduce our concept...it CANNOT make up for the lack of a concept in the first place.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
True very true, like my teachers use to say "You cant make SH*T shine"

its easy to make **** shine with some high gloss finishing spray and lighting....i wouldnt listen to your teachers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.