AG-DVC30, The Quest...or should I get something different?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FF_productions, Jul 15, 2006.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Hey guys,

I proposed to my parents that I would earn as much money as possible to pay for a new camera, the rest they would be able to help me with. On the list right now is the Panasonic AG-DVC30, are there any other options within the 1500-2000 dollar price range?

Please don't stretch past 2000 because I'm already streching past 1600 dollars. I want a good 3 ccd chip camera with plenty of manual control. I doubt I'll add many lenses and such because I probably won't afford it. I'm not interested in HDV.

Thanks guys, I'm very excited because I'm going from a broken down Digital 8 camcorder to a prosumer camera, a very big jump for me.

2. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ok let's just say I'm going to get the AG-DVC30, could anyone recomend me add-ons for it such as Mic's (I heard the audio was really bad on the dvc30).

I'm a month or 2 from getting this so I got plenty of time.

3. Drizzt macrumors member

Drizzt

I would say the DVC30 is a great camera for a young person and as a step-up. It doesn't have amazing low-light performance but compared to your old Digital8 camcorder it will be an enormous improvement. You will suddenly be able to record inside in even the worst conditions with at the worst fair results, so no more of that mud commonly associated with 1/6 in. chips. The DVC30 also has step-up features that allow the camera to grow with you. For now I would get the Rode VideoMic ($150) to use in the 1/8 in. mic-in port and get a decent pair of circumaural (around the ear) headphones - I recommend Sennheiser HD202 headphone, which is a fantastic deal for $22. In a year or two, though, you can get the XLR adapter and an XLR mic (such as the Rode NTG-1), so the camera can grow with you. Plus the handle is detachable so you make it a very discreet street camera if need be.

The Canon GL2, primarily the only other MiniDV camcorder in this range (don't touch the JVC HDV camcorders - they have problems and have worse video quality), is more expensive for just about even features. The GL2 does worse IMO in lowlight than the DVC30 despite having the same size chips. The GL2 also has had problematic tape drives which can ruin a sizable investment.

Lastly, Panasonic really takes pride in this camcorder. Go to their page for the DVC30 and download their PDF brochure. They really put a lot of thought into this camera and made it a good bang for its buck. You won't be disappointed.

4. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I downloaded their PDF brochure, it really got me all excited. You are the 2nd person to recomend a rode mic to me, I'm definetely going for it. Thank you so much for responding to my question!!

I'm not really into shooting in low-light situations, no matter what camera you use, it's not the look I'm going for...So the question is, how much better is a Sony VX2100 compared to the DVC30? There is a 300-500 dollar difference, a diffference that I could buy Mics, batteries, lenses, tripods and all that with.

And again, thanks for responding to my question!

5. Drizzt macrumors member

Drizzt

Don't be too concerned about the low light of the 2100. I am going to get the VX2100 just for the low light abilities it has. The DVC30 is a better value for its price. Save that extra couple hundred dollars for batteries, a soft case, and a few filters (neutral density, circular polarizer, UV protector) like you said. I have never seen anyone upset with their DVC30.

The VX2100 has a rating of being able to produce images at 1 lux (really low light) while the DVC30 is rated at 4 lux (very respectable). Nothing in this price range (>$4000) will beat the VX2100 in low light. Moving up from a single-chip camcorder, though, the DVC30 will be radiant. The 30 is very capable indoors or with low light.

6. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Cool thanks, now I have to keep earning money and I'll get back to everybody in a month or 2 whenever I get this camera. I told my friends I was going to pay nearly 2000 dollars for a camera and they all gasped "2000 for a camera? Dude I've never seen a camera so expensive"..I hope they are shocked by the quality of this camera compared to the crap before it. I always had to color correct my d8 footage and make it brighter and more respectable looking, it looked terrible either way, edited or unedited. Again, thanks for the response...I'm surprised noone else has jumped in..

7. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Actually, the DVC30 can do 0 lux as well with it's infrared sensor, which has made it quite popular for police/security purposes.

I was in the market for a prosumer camera as well recently, and after extensively researching the GL2, DVC30, and VX2100 for three months I was about to go with the DVC30. Then I found out it was out of stock for miles around until months later, which would be too late, so I scrounged up some extra cash and went with the DVX100, which is an absolutely incredible camera. Judging by the quality of the DVX, I doubt you'll be disappointed by the DVC.

8. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'd really like to get a DVX100, but I'm short on time, and it will take twice as long to earn the money for it. I've seen many videos done with the DVX100, I was absolutey shocked by the quality. I'm sure the DVC30 will do the job for me, again thanks for the response.

9. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=216806 this may be of interest if you are considering the GL2. I bet there's a reason why Sydney Pollack is toting one around in Sketches of Frank Gehry. I haven't used a GL2, but am currently using an XL2 and have a tiny little Optura for fun. Canon makes an excellent camera.

I know you said no to HDV, but I think we're seeing the tail end of SD. I consider the Sony HC-1 as a contender.

10. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

11. lilfordbmx macrumors newbie

DVX100 used...

off dvxuser.com

i got one for 1700.