Again with the Gay stuff?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Jun 5, 2006.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Considering everything else that's going on right now, does anybody really care that much about a couple of homosexuals wanting to get married? Anybody except Bush that is. Aren't there more important things to deal with that no one seems to want to deal with? Did I just answer my own question? Does anyone else think this is just going to backfire the way immigration, euthanasia, and privatizing SS did?

I realize we've had this debate a hundred times, but no one else has mentioned the latest ploy, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Bush Jr. in Canada does
    Just when you think it's over, they call back the winning goal and make you play it out all over again.

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure in a couple of years (or decades at this point) it won't even be an issue anymore. Especially if they're allowed to get married legally and civilization doesn't crumble. I'm assuming you still had families up there after the bill passed last time to allow it, so I'll assume it won't. I don't know why your guy wants to follow in GW's footsteps, considering the latest poll numbers of our fearless leader, but I'm sure the issue will die a quick death up there too. No one wants to deal with it anymore, as I said, there are more important things. Took the Dems down here decades to screw things up. Took the Repubs significantly less time. I suspect it will be the same situation up there.

Just don't go invading any countries preemptively. ;)

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

In Florida they have a law on the books making it illegal to sleep with alligators. Punishable by a $250 fine and up to one year in jail. :D

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Alabama is voting on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages this Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So Bush and Co. speak about blocking "activist" judges and fufilling the will of the people by making a constitutional ban on gay marriage.

Well, I guess a little over 1/2 of the people in the US are opposed to Gay Marriage (depending on phrasing). More Americans are opposed to US involvement in Iraq, and over 70% are opposed to Bush as President.

Where are the constitutional amendments on bad presidents?

Also, I enjoy that since the gay marriage amendment has no hope of passage, that the Congress is once again wasting it's (and our) time and money.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think they'll really pay for that this fall. Health care remains the #1 concern of most Americans but the Republicans are refusing to do anything about it other than tout Medicare Part D, which of course isn't about helping average Americans but helping the drug companies.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

We live in a ****ed up world. I went to my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary tonight. I love my grandparents to death, but I couldn't help but think about the letter they sent me after I came out of the closet urging me to reevaluate my life decisions. That letter really did hurt me. I never responded and to this day I can't have the best relationship possible with my grandparents because they are close minded, bush-supporting republicans. They represent what I hate about American culture when it comes to politics and social issues. I hate to say that, but I also have to be honest with myself. My grandparents would rather erode my rights than look at homosexuality logically and stand behind me. The truth really hurts sometimes.

e

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

My theory is that it's actually a larger percentage of voters who are against gay rights. Versus a small percentage who would actively support it and vote for gay rights. Most people don't vote, and besides maybe being uncomfortable by it, really couldn't care less. If they did, they'd be out there voting against it with the others. They just can't be bothered to vote for it.

I didn't use to care because I'm not gay and don't know any homosexuals who would want to get married, but first they came for the Jews...

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

And don't I know it...:rolleyes:

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Talk about back-door politics. It should be on the general ballot in November instead of today, like the [failed] lottery. Instead they know that they have a better chance of winning if it's on the primary ballot, as less people vote in June than November.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

scem0, I love you for who you are and respect you totally! People like your grandparents drive me crazy as well. However, to truly be the free country we are, we have to love and respect them for their beliefs, and the freedom to express their beliefs. I'm sure you know how they were raised, etc. There's no way I can feel your pain because they are your grandparents. But, my father is similarly closed minded. Also, nn in-law type family member of mine is gay, and there's no way his parents will ever know. And there's only one sibling who knows, and I know. I guess he feels it's easier that way.

OK I rambling. I guess the point I want to make is that I would hope you can love your grandparents for being your grandparents and not feel hurt because of their political views. I'm just as guilty, as the battle in the Episcopal Church these days has made me judge the conservatives (and friends) self-righteously. But, we all need to try a little harder.

/end cheesy soapbox speech/

P.S. kill 'em with love and kindness, I always say! ;) :D

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

that $250 fine a !:rolleyes: how do they expect me to pay that:D

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I watched the Bush conference yesterday - pretty sickening stuff. People clapping at every "activist judges..." comment.

Clapping for blatant discrimination and violation of the Equal Protection Clause.

It really is sickening.

I don't care if they do NOTHING, but when they try to enact a law that grants rights to one group of citizens and takes it away from another....

My electric bill is due to go up 100.00 next month.

We're spending over 200.00 a month on gas.

I wonder what my health care choice will be in six months when my COBRA runs out.

The job market sucks.

Those are real issues...they need to get cracking.

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

I read some other people commented that the Bush administration is actually trying to distract the American public from his failures at Iraq with this. And in doing so, he is also trying to regain the votes he lost from his own republican camp.

Sounds like he is looking for easy targets, trying to make himself look good among his peers....:(

16. ToddW macrumors 6502a

i think they should be worrying about the economy. i really hate that the government is trying to single out people in general. it's not like those gays (jk) are terroists or anything. i can understand controlling the border more, and handling our huge immigration issue, but segregating a group of people for the way they are, when they are good contributing members of society is just wrong. i don't think it will go through. i looks to me like another way to get peoples attention on other things, and for bush to keep his promise that he made to the right side of the republican party that got him into office. everything about this is unconstitution based on the world we live in today. there are way more important issues.

gas for me went from 60 to 80/week for 240/mnth (and we are not driving near as much)
    property taxes up another 300 bucks this year
    groceries up 200/mnth (based on previous years budget)
    everything has increased, i can't get a raise or promotion because of budge eventhought I'm the top performer. Cant' even get a reply to a job app. housing is outrageous.

those are real issues, my wife and I are working more and more (i'm working more OT) she is working more shifts at the hospital together we work on average 100 hrs a week and spend all of our free time with our son. i've picked up odd design job after another for hardly nothing just to get some extra money in, as well as building/repairing peecees again. just to put some more money back for us and our son.

what a crappy world!

rant over ( back to my perl script )

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I love this statement.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

In general, you mean.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's singularly oxymoronic.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was going to start a thread on this and then I realized how completely irrelevent it is. No one really cares about this anymore, except we gay people. It's an empty threat by Bush go shore up support, that's all. It's never going to get close to passing. I say we ignore the a**hole on this and instead start impeachment proceedings.

It's sad. I have to agree with scem0 on the Christian thing too. Now anytime someone mentions they're Christian, my guard goes up. Not that it never did before, but after this administration it's at a whole new level. And that's a damn shame.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You pole smokers oughta get a kick out of this.
    (And yes, Sen. Crapo IS his real name.)

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, I think the Republicans should go for it -- to push this issue as far as they think they must to save marriage from the scourge of gay unions. Keep pushing for a Constitutional ban, like they really mean what they say, instead of just now and again, when they need to throw some red meat to the party's base. They might even be able to win some short-term political gain. But finally, it will take them straight to political oblivion, because on balance, Americans have always been suspicious of the government monkeying around with their individual rights, and over the long haul, have protected the rights of minorities. Let it play out, and see who wins.

So I dare them to turn this into a huge national debate. I double-dog dare them.

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I am a Christian, and I am not going to let people like Jerry Fallwell, Pat Robertson, and James Dobbs tell me what to do. I know what being a Christian in my life is all about and it has nothing to do with hate. Those people do nothing but spread hate and intolerence and use the Lords name to do it.

The whole amendment thing is just silly and a waste of time. There are so many bigger things that need our focus right now. I say let the whole gay marriage thing be decided by the states. What ever happened to Republicans preaching states rights? Or smaller government? Hmm... I guess those days are over. I also find that if the wording is changed from gay marriage to civil union, the support for the idea goes up. It's simply amazing how just changing the term of something changes the level of support for it. Silly people.

I know what happens with these types of dividing issues especially because I live in South Dakota. Yes, we are the infamous state with the new abortion ban and not just any abortion ban, but one that bans all abortions in almost any situation. Well guess what? The issue is going to referred to the voters in November. They needed something like 13,000 signatures to do it, but they ended up with over 38,000. In a state as small as SD, that is a lot of votes. The ban is going down and going down hard. It shows that there are a lot of people that do not believe government should be telling us what to do with our personal lives. I even got a call a few months ago on the issue as a poll was being taken. I answered the questions and then when she asked if I wanted to add anything else, I said, why don't you just call women and ask their opinion? I mean I can't have a baby....right?

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I heard that after the ban on abortions was signed into law in SD, the Democratic party suddenly found two candidates to run against the GOP incumbent, along with reinvigorating the state party to some extent?

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aw, I think that's a bit harsh. I know plenty of people who don't consider themselves queer, but will gladly show support via votes and marches.
    Because reproductive rights impact more than just women. Even if you're not straight and with a woman who has become impregnated-- you surely have had or will have a close relationship of some sort with a woman. Be it a relative, a good friend, even a dear friend of someone you're involved with.

I am not fond of the stance of people passing off reproductive rights as a woman's fight-- it impacts everyone.