Age is a Scary Thing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Dec 29, 2006.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Although I turned 22 two month ago, I guess it took a new year for this to all dawn on me. God, I'm going to be 22!! Taking a year off, then going to law school. By the time I graduate I'll be 26-27ish with 30 right over the horizon. That really freaked me out because my parents were about that age in my the earliest memories of them. It feels like shortly after grad school, I'm expected to get married and have kids... and I know I can't image myself doing any of that after just 3-5 ish more years. I mean right now, I'm an adult in many sense, but I'm still a irresponsible kid when it comes to things like relationships , working, and money. Maybe its the new year coming or maybe today's a strange day, but I realized that life really starts to book it after you turn 20. Did you guys have the same feelin' when you were my age (or if you are my age, have these moments) or am I just crazy? LoL. It'd be interesting to get everyone's take. Oh, one last thing, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm 53, and I'm no more grown up than I was in my twenties. The Idea of Progress, both in society and in individual development, is largely illusory.

3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

omg don't remind me :eek:

*turning 23 on the 2nd :eek:

4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Your avatar certainly places you in high society. I suppose that's one of the benefits of age.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Gotta disagree. Purely speaking for myself, of course. :)

6. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I'm 25, in law school after taking two years off, and don't remember feeling exactly like you do but similarly. I just had a hunger to try and get my life going on my own but that could be more about my relationships with my parents and my personal aspirations.

Like the above poster said, age ain't no thing. I view age as a barometer of experience. I only get upset if I feel my age is surpassing my experience.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't place too much trust in avatars, young man.

There are exceptions, of course.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe you're the exception. ;)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I'm not much better at some of those things you mentioned. And I'm almost 40. :)

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Less than a month away from turning 21, here. Getting older never really bothered me, but that's probably because I'm still around the ages where each passing year means more and more freedom (which is great as long as the corresponding responsibility doesn't take too much out of you). Also, having recently bought a place with my girlfriend, not only am I happy to be my age, but I'm very much looking forward to the years to come.

Bring it on, I say! :)

11. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Great attitude. It's taken me a bit longer to reach the same point as you.

12. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

responsibility is a bitch

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it much. Most folks I know, and myself included, change a lot over the years. We grow and develop as individuals based upon our studies, experiences and life's lessons.

When you look back upon life, it is funny the things that they don't teach you in school that you must learn on your own. Some do this more successfully than others. Unfortunately, some must learn the hard lessons of life over and over until they get it right! ;)

I forget who said this, but it goes something like this: It's too bad that we are not born with the wisdom of an 80 year old and work our way backwards. That way when you are young and need wisdom that age provides you have it and by the time you reach 80, you won't need it.

Another fun saying that I've heard from those a bit older than me, is that old age is not for the weak! Now that is scary! ;)

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats funny ,Skunk I had no idea 53! you old fart. I allways feel like im talking to 20 year olds here for some reason. Im a young 45:p

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

See? I told you I hadn't grown up. :)

16. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm 28, turning 30 soon...sigh. Just last night, my high school friend IMed me saying he's got a one month old kid, and I don't even have someone I like. It's really scary I won't have a "regular" life, buy a house, getting married, have kids. Age is a scary thing. :(

17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Atleast you have direction of what you want to do as a career. I'm turning 23 in March and still haven't decided what I want to persue. Feels like I'm goin to be gettin associates degrees my whole life. Livin' at home goin to a community college, sounds awesome right.

That's a good way of putting it. I guess that's why I'm so upset about it.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I was thinking about this myself the other day. I'll be turning 20 in 4 months from today and it freaks me out that I'll no longer be a teenager (even though people often think I'm already in my mid twenties). Then that got me onto thinking about what I'm going to be like in another 20 years and I just can't imagine myself at 30, 40, 50 etc. I think it's better to just not think about it. :D

19. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

double nickle

i'm a double nickle and still don't have the wisdom of the average double deuce.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm like a fine wine baby - I just keep getting better with age. :cool:

21. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Skunk, that's my style! I have a few years on you, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I see a lot of people mentioning getting wisdom with age. I know quite a few people getting to the 40's and 50's and higher and still haven't attained a "wisdom" rating. With age comes life experiences, and if one is not able to look back and gain from those, then they ain't no smarter now than just before that experience. Look up wisdom in the mac dictionary.

Now - for my revelation!
    Those of you who are turning twenty - you are now half way to forty!
    Those of you who are turning thirty - you're halfway to sixty.
    Those of you who are turning forty - well - you are now closer to sixty than you are to twenty - by at least one day!
    If you are turning 50 or more, you can probably see the wisdom in this.

Now go look up experience and then see my tag line. Hey - age ain't so bad - once you get old enough you can sit around and just make things up!

22. freeman24 Guest

Well im 21 and 22 in July.. Ill be 23 when ill finally graduate from University. Its quite scary to think what i will do after i graduate.. go back home? look for somewhere to live? go traveling?

Ive been thinking for some time now on the latter.. travelling.. Is it better to get a better understanding on life before you start to have one?

23. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Oh my.. I feel like a baby compared to all you. I'm 13. :D Are all you going to scold me for doing weird things? :mad:

24. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

If you don't scold me, then I won't scold you!!! It's great to see some really young people here. Let's see - when I was 13? Geesh! It was still the 50's - what a great time that was (still is).

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good grief! The shirt I'm wearing is older than you. Honest. :eek: :eek:

Well, maybe. I bought it in March 1993. And, no, I don't normally remember such things. This one has a history.

*** runs off to buy new clothes ***