Age of Conan

Discussion in 'Games' started by DanzaBarr, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DanzaBarr macrumors newbie

DanzaBarr

I don't know if anyone has heard of the Marvel great: "Conan the Barbarian"? I am an avid reader of Stan Lee's 1960-1970 comic books, so anything like: "The Tomb of Dracula" "Planet of the Apes" "Red Sonja" "The Amazing Spiderman" etc... and "Conan the Barbarian". There has been news of a MMORPG (or MMO, I don't know which) called "The Age of Conan" - an adaptation of the original Marvel created world. News has been circulating around the net, then there was a community site set up, yadda, yadda... So my big question is... Will it be Mac compatible?? The community site URL is: http://community.ageofconan.com/

I wouldn't normally ask around on a question like this, instead- wait around until months after a release when all my friends are playing, then eventually visit Amazon, realize it's for Windows only, so just sit around looking disappointed. Maybe doing a bit of fan art (I'm sad like that...). But this game looks AMAZING! It's already won numerous awards at E3 and is likely to punch WoW (my current MMORPG) into the ground! The gameplay looks slick and requires skill, rather than percentage chances and different talents (that Blizzard are infamous for T_T) For this one I'm imagining a cross between Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne... with a touch of castle building and multiplayer friendliness.

Does anyone have any information on the release of the game? All I know is that it's being released sometime in March-May 2007. Anyone else interested?

-DanzaBarr

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The game is being released on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 by Funcom.

As far as I know, Funcom has never released a Mac compatible game. :(

3. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Conan is not a Marvel-created property... writer Robert Howard created him in 1932, and Marvel did an adaptation in the 70s.

I like the idea of the pvp bar fight, with no gear and buffs from the alcohol you drink. Fun.

Looks like I'll be playing this one on the 360 instead of the mac.

4. DanzaBarr thread starter macrumors newbie

DanzaBarr

yup, I did know about Howard, though i never read his book(s?)

Well... it's a real shame... So all of Funcom's prior MMORPGs have been exclusive to Microsoft platforms? It seems a bit stupid: they'd get so many more customers if it was made Mac compatible... Nya. I even thought for about 2 minutes about buying a PC (shock!) just to play the game... Then I thought about all the crap Windows Vista is causing, and those ugh... "TABS". Sheesh. Anyway, thank for the replies. Laters.

-DanzaBarr

5. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

yeah I'm excited for this game! I'd love to jump in the beta already. it'll be interesting to see how it competes with WoW.

Also, being that its openly an M rated game, I wonder how they'll monitor annoying 12 year olds who play the game.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Get a new Mac and run Bootcamp. I'll run this game in Bootcamp unless I buy a PS3 before then.

7. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that by the time this game comes out, Apple will have the newest OS out and that's supposed to have the final Boot Camp in it. I'm aiming on running it through that, but we'll see when the final specs and all come out with their new machines, as well as what AOC demands.

8. DanzaBarr thread starter macrumors newbie

DanzaBarr

I've only had problems with support OSs... Is BootCamp highly regarded here? I don't have it on any of my machines. But do have a couple of new iMacs.

As for how they'll monitor annoying 12 year olds- they can't. We just have to live with them *sighs*.

-DanzaBarr

9. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I don't know about other folks around here, but I'm a fan of boot camp.

I've used it since it came out with minimal issues. It hasn't been a totally perfect run, but really not too many problems.

I've played a ton of games on it and I even edited a 5 minute video on it using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

10. DanzaBarr thread starter macrumors newbie

DanzaBarr

Where can I purchase it?

-DanzaBarr

*edit* I mean- where can I get a copy of Windows? does it have to be Mac compatible?

*edit of an edit* - Will this be Windows Vista compatible?

11. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Funcom's previous games are heavily reliant on directx and it seems to be the api of choice for them. Shame really as both a small mac and linux community would love to see Anarchy Online on OSX/Linux.

12. aholden12592 macrumors regular

i have actually seen the movie conan the barbarian and i have to say it is the funniest movie right beside the Mortal Kombat movies

13. DanzaBarr thread starter macrumors newbie

DanzaBarr

Yeah, I heard the movie they did was absolute *****... I think the game will really live up to Robert Howard's vision of the lore of Conan.

-DanzaBarr

And btw, I now have some Vista sources... Thankyou anyway.

14. marcus123 macrumors newbie

Age of Conan + bootcamp

I am purchasing a dual 2.66 mac with a dual 7800 geforce, would the game AoC be able to run on high performance with bootcamp running windows and the game?

15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: Yes, of course!

16. marcus123 macrumors newbie

Thx for help.

17. DanzaBarr thread starter macrumors newbie

DanzaBarr

Thanks as well- (though the answer wasn't really directed at me T_T;...

-DanzaBarr