Age Of Empires 2 Problems

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by evan g, Jun 16, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I loaded up Age Of Empires 2 on my mac, and went to the settings, but when I tried to change it to a higher setting, it would only let me select the low and medium, but not high (1280 x 1040 or whatever). Now I KNOW that my mac can handle the highest one, but why can't I select it?

Also I found the disc today, and never played it while on 10.5.2, and am now on 10.5.3. I have heard that there are some problems with 10.5.2 and AOE2, but what about 10.5.3?

2. macrumors 68020

Beric

Have the same problem on an iMac. Apparently the iMac does not support the high resolution, probably because it is widescreen. It's a bummer.

3. macrumors 6502

4. thread starter macrumors regular

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors regular

Age of Empires is brilliant! Love to set up a multiplayer with my brother now and again.

Gave AOE3 a try, but tbh I thought it was pants.

7. macrumors newbie

its a Mac

Why dosnt it work.... Because... Its a mac

8. macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    Assuming a genuine, non-trolling query here: AoE 2, along with a number of other older, Rosetta-reliant Mac games, won't work on any version of OS X after Snow Leopard 10.6. If you bought a new Mac with Lion or ML, forget it!

By the by, I was in the same position. Lost access to AoE 2 & a fair number of other classic Mac games after buying new Mac in 2011. I thought I could easily downgrade to Snow Leopard, but not so. All in all, too much hassle, requiring access to another Intel Mac.

If you want to play AoE 2 on a Mac, best option is buy a PC version & use Windows in Bootcamp. Otherwise, get a PC. That's what I did for gaming purposes.

9. The-Pro, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

macrumors 65816

i cant change the resolutions above 1024 x whatever it is. it just crashes
    i was able to select high but it didnt make a difference.

Age if empires 3 is crap i think

Who agrees someone should port the game for ipad???

10. macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    IMO, AoE 3 is far from "crap". Sure it's more linear, but it's still a great game with some outstanding graphics. Ditto both AoE 3 expansion packs.

Re AoE 2 & switching to higher resolutions, make sure you've installed all the updates:

http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/aoe2.html

If that doesn't help, I'm not sure of any other solutions. But someone else might be.

11. macrumors member

Personally I have always been a big fan of AOE2, and was wondering the same thing about the screen res. I don't know the facts but I can tell you this, I have just set up an old monitor that isn't being used that has a max screen res of 1280x1024 and now it runs just fine on highest settings with that one.

BTW I am looking forward to getting the new HD Edition that just came out (There is no way I am paying $20 for a game I already have, but I do think if it goes on a Steam Sale, $5-10 will be worth the 8 player online :))

12. macrumors 6502

truettray

13. macrumors 6502

I just got mine!

14. macrumors 6502a

iF34R

It's too bad that isn't going to be coming to the Mac. I'm already tired of booting into Windows to play some games lol.