Age of Empires 3 Coming for Mac Second Half of 2005?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SteveC, Mar 27, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/

and

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/MoreInfo.htm

"Microsoft Game Studios and Ensemble Studios are proud to announce the return of the king of real-time strategy games: Age of Empires III is scheduled to ship in the second half of 2005. This will be the latest landmark release in the award-winning franchise that has sold a staggering 16 million units worldwide."

Will AoE III be shipping for the Mac at the same time?

Will it be MADE for Macs like AoE and AoE II were?

The graphics look awesome. :)

2. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I will probably NEED this game.

Because it's a Microsoft production, Mac-ers will most likely have to wait for it to be ported.

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Age of Empires II was a MAJOR success. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the mac soon after.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I still play Age of Empires v1 on the Zone for the last 5 years. Too bad Macs aren't supported by the Zone. Otherwise, I still keep my own Win95 Pentium 100 for this game.

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I got the first one a few years back. Ah, the memorys. Sadly, I lost the disk. I wasted even more time on the second one! Well I shouldn't say wasted. I don't think I've ever played a game more then AoE II. I picked up Age of Mythology about a year ago. I only recently stopped playing it every hour of my life and I still pop it in every once a while.

6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

If they port it, I better be able to play with my PC friends unlike with AoE II

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Those screenshots make me happy I opted for 128 MB VRAM on the new PowerBook. They seem almost too busy to be for actual gameplay. I'll lose simply because I'll be focusing on the pretty backgrounds instead of the action. :p

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Sounds awsome. The first 2 were really good. I can;t wait to see what they come up for this one.

9. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

im rooting for a release as soon as possible.

from looking at the history, they will probably release it for Mac once an Expansion Pack for AOE III has been released.

Just look at the previous 2 releases:
    AOE II - Gold for Mac (AOE II Age of Kings, and The Conquerors Expansion)
    Rise of Nations - Gold for Mac (RoN + Expansion)

eh, thats just my guess

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Probably an accurate assumption.

I'm not expecting any Mac-PC network compatibility, if AoE III actually makes it to the Mac.

11. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I wouldnt expect Mac-PC compatibility, unless they decide to not code the multiplayer aspect around "DirectPlay", which is why most Microsoft games that get ported to the mac, arnt PC->Mac multiplayer compatiable.

12. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

Hate to break the excitement up ( I really want the game too), but its going to be using the havok physics engine, which = no mac port. :(

13. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Why not? What is the havok physics engine? How about a Mac alternative engine? If that's a stupid question, it's ok because I'll be the first to admit my lack of gaming-tech knowledge. ;)

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Damnit! Are you kidding me? AoE III alone was a good enough reason to get a G5...

15. stutz macrumors member

A Mac Gamer is exactly right. It's extremely unlikely that AOE III will make it to the Mac in spite of the franchise sales in the past. Combining use of Direct X and the Havoc engine kills this one for us. Too bad. If the Havoc engine got ported to the Mac just once, it could open the flood gates for quite a few great games to make it over to the Mac. It looks like Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology will be the latest and greatest for RTS for quite a long time to come.

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

this is what happens when Blizzard loses focus. WoW may be fun, but it shouldn't be their sole focus. It looks too much like WC3, which looks too much like 2001.

AOE was always playing catch-up to the Blizzard games (appropriate since AOE was a WC/SC rip-off to begin with), but now it looks like AOEIII is going to run away with the genre...at least graphics-wise.

Can't wait. Maybe this will encourage Blizzard to hurry up with StarCraft 2 already.

18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I don't think AoE ever had a problem with Blizzard games. AoE is one of the most famous strategy games ever.