Age of Empires 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by xob, Aug 24, 2006.

1. xob macrumors member

xob

Any one played it? Is it worth getting when it comes out in 'late Sempember'? Is it that much better than AE2? Am I going to be ok with 1ghz g4? Thanks all!

2. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

you will most def not be ok with a g4. its much much better than AOE2, but I would say quite a deal smaller. as in not as epic, but a very solid rts. and the best graphics in any to date
    andreas

3. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

4. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I have the PC version, its good. However, there are some annoyances that make the gameplay kind of repetitive after a while. Like trebuchets were the ultimate assault weapon in AOE2, canons are in AOE3, and subsequently the computer uses them A LOT. So big, fortified battles become onslaughts of canons by the computer, and they keep doing it over and over.

For online play no one does entrenched battles, its all about the rush, which kind of spoils the fun for me. It may have changed and I didn't play that much online, but thats what I overwhelmingly saw, people fighting over how soon is a rush and pointing fingers that so and so rushed, etc.

And my biggest gripe is that the towers are virtually useless now. In AOE2 I would shove 5 archers in a tower and they would mutilate any ground forces, it was hella fun. Now putting archers in the towers has no effect, towers only fire one arrow at a time. Even upgrading them to canon towers isn't worth it as they are only good against small groups of forces. To survive any major attack you will have to have canons behind your walls backing up the towers. This is also why the computer never uses the long range canon, and instead relies on direct soldier/canon assaults. Canon's can take walls down like nothing.

5. folckers macrumors newbie

I'm having Age of Mythology for Mac and it has the same engine as Age of Empires 3.
    It actually still works on a Blue and White G3 with 350 Mhz.
    a bit slow but playable.
    You can do much modding very easily of the games regarding techs, units, buildings etc.
    Regarding AoE 3 I'm more fascinated from mediaevel or fantasy setups like at AoM/AoE2 or "Majesty - Fantasy Kingdom Simulation".
    Rushing is nice, but i prefer building a nice village with much eye candy and a big economy with trade etc. With some mods you can do so.
    With AoE3 i will most prefer playing native americans and i hope the "Warchiefs" Expansion will be available for MAc, as the "Titans" Expansion for AoM was not.

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I have it - its fun but as posted earlier it does get repititve. I thought Star Wars empire at war was fun and had some cool aspects but I still think Rome Total War/Barbarian Invasions has been the best so far.

7. erkanasu macrumors 6502

No way it has the same engine....

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

The AOM engine looks like a alpha build of what is the aoe3 engine

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Do not judge by the graphics quality to see if an engine has come from another.

For example, unreal Tournament 2004's engine is a much much MUCH bettter end optimized engine of the 1st unreal's engine!

10. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I like the upgrading card/points bonus thing on AOE3, it's really handy being able to ship over reinforcements from the home town (if you have the resources to do so).

It is defineately worth getting, single player games can be a bit short sometimes , but online is good fun