Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just bought a couple classic and most-played games on sale from Steam yesterday. AoE II & III for like $12!

I used to play these games a lot back in the day. My friends and I would either play each other online or in a LAN party with these games. Lots of good times and memories.

I played a game, against the computer, of each already and they're still fun to play even years later.

The Steam sale ends tomorrow at 1 pm EST.

2016-01-02 15.40.54.jpg

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I picked up Age of Empires II HD when it was released a while back. So many memories from when I was younger! Fun game, never tried AoE III though.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
If you log into your account, you can add it there. I doubt I'll remember to post it here the next time it goes on sale.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I picked of AOE2 on Steam, not on sale,but I was in the mood for something different. Now that I have PC, I have so many options and selection and yet I pick a 20+ year old game :eek:

I have to say though, I'm really having fun playing the game, it didn't take too long to get my sea legs so to speak and even now in 2019 its a fun game to play

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I picked of AOE2 on Steam, not on sale,but I was in the mood for something different. Now that I have PC, I have so many options and selection and yet I pick a 20+ year old game :eek:

I have to say though, I'm really having fun playing the game, it didn't take too long to get my sea legs so to speak and even now in 2019 its a fun game to play
I still play AOE2 on a somewhat regular basis. I actually fired it up on Ubuntu this morning for a little bit.

AOE2 has a huge following on Twitch and I watch more community games and expert games on there than I play.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My friends and I have played this for the last few years ever since Steam resurrected it. Hah, didn't know there was a thread on this. When I was a kid, my dad went and bought this at compUSA? We installed this and played it non-stop until the next day. That was AOE 1. We continued to play AOE heavily until AOE 2. AOE 3 wasn't bad but no one I knew played it, that and most of my friends went off to Eve Online, then World of Warcraft. (Of which I played both for many years).

A coworker of my dad's, when I was a kid, was also Blizzard employee so he got tons of Warcraft II cds and let us install them. This was about the time of AOE. So I grew up on AOE and Warcraft II (but my family preferred AOE).

I have successfully installed PlayOnMyMac with Steam and AOEII on my Mac mini - works really well, but it isn't easy to setup. Doesn't work at all on my MBP. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247537337 -- but I have access to a cheap Windows laptop that I can run AOE II on if needed. But, as my friends and I get older, we're playing a lot less.

I don't play much of anything anymore - Starcraft II now here and there.

AOE II is a lot of fun, especially if you grew up with it as a kid. :) Amazingly really stable on Steam.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
I know one of the original Ensemble Studios developers. He seems pretty happy every time he runs across someone who still is getting enjoyment from AoE/AoK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.