Age of Empires III ever on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Randall, Jan 5, 2006.

?

Will AOE3 ever find it's way to the Mac platform?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

No I don't mean to get anybody's hopes up, Age of Empires III is not available for OS X at the moment. Sadly, I am not sure if it ever will be either. Unlike the franchises older versions, which were all ported over to the Mac within 18 months after their initial release, AOE3 uses something that the other AOE games did not. No, I'm not talking about DirectX, I'm talking about the Havoc physics engine. Havok is trying to charge the exact same licensing fee for Mac ports as they do brand new PC games, and for that reason, the Havoc physics engine has yet to see it's way over to the Macintosh platform. All Mac gamers know that the Havok physics engine is used in games like Half-Life 2 and Halo 2, both of wich have not been ported to OS X yet because of this fact. Will the move to intel and x86 help game developers decide to design their game for both platforms? Will the Mac ever see the Havok physics engine (presumably already compiled for OS X and waiting in Havok's headquarters in Ireland for an Apple developer to foot the huge bill)?

This is one of the reasons that I love games by Blizzard Entertainment. Besides the fact that they have fantastic games, they are the only distributor that I know of who really has their act together. Making the games available on both platforms on the same disc no less.

Attached Files:

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, not really. Halo 2 doesn't even have a PC version, and Valve just hates Macs, period, and will charge fifty kajillion dollars for the rights, Havok or no Havok. (Note that there was no Mac version of Halflife 1 either.)

This has nothing to do with Havok.... It might help game developers some years from now, but in the meantime, they have to do PPC and x86 versions, which means more work, not less.

Second Life uses Havok. I hope nobody else gives in to them, or else they'll think they can get away with outrageous demands.

They say that developing for two platforms at once is harder (of course), but that it makes for better and more stable code in the long run. They do release quite a few patches, but I've noticed that they're usually for minor gameplay issues rather than technical glitches, so it must be working.

--Eric

3. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I sure hope so :) Currently I can't play aoe3 online without it lagging the crap out of me. I have a amd64 3200+ running winxp with 1gig of ram, dedicated nvidia 64mb video card and road runner cable (always 400+kbps) and it laggs be to death online =( I can play HL2 CS:Source or DOD:Source and it works fine with zero lag. I don't know what the issue is unless my graphic card is crap as HP quit putting the nvidia cards in because they quit supporting them and would not update the drivers (last update was almost a year and a half ago on GFX driver).. They now ship the same laptop with 128mb ATI cards =(

4. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I think there's a good chance of games being ported as soon as Mac moves to Intel.

5. Randall thread starter macrumors 6502a

Randall

Hey guys thanks for responding. I guess that the architeture of the hardware has very little to do with the actual programming, and that the OS specific APIs and particularly DirectX are the major hurdles to overcome when porting to Mac from Windows. That said, sometimes I feel like Mac users miss out on a lot of great games for these reasons, and I hope that as Apple continues to gain back market share, this will change.

Until then, if the new intel Macs can indeed dual boot into Windows, this will be a temporary solution to our problem. In the long run though, I hope to see more big titles coming out for both platforms.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Havok HAS BEEN ported to mac, but the programmers require a ridiculus amount of money for the rights....

7. i.e.Mac macrumors newbie

i.e.Mac

I know I should probably laugh at the even mention that AoE III even might come to Macs, BUT, I remember thinking the same thing to myself about Age of Empires II, but sure enough, along it came to great applause from me at least. I don't know..... On the one hand, Havok would would probably charge a pretty penny to bring this over to our computers, but on the other hand, perhaps demand for this game to come for mac may be...overwhelming? Perhaps. I've played the PC version of this, and it really must come to Macs. It almost seems the game was meant for us...