Age you left home

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lamina, Feb 10, 2007.

?

At what age did you leave home?

1. <18

19 vote(s)
    16.8%
  2. 18 - 22

74 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. 23 - 26

17 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 27 - 30

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

At what age did you leave home?

Obv don't answer if you haven't left home yet.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I was 18, nearly 19 when I moved out to go to uni. I'm still home most weekends though so I haven't really disconnected in that sense though (as much as I'd like to).

3. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i left around 19-20 but then came back for a bit and left again. now of course i am gone for good.

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I was 20. I moved out of my parents' house and into a place with my girlfriend. This was just last June. :)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I was 18. Didn't move long though, as there is 4 apartments in the house where I grew up (of which my mother owns/controls 3), and I just moved one floor down, and later vertically to the other side of the house when my grandmother moved into "my" flat.

Didn't buy my first place until I was 26...

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

!9, at which point I flitted off to university.

7. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Jeez this makes me feel kinda weird.

I'm 22 in my 2nd year of university...

I don't get how people my age can afford to live on their own. Stuff costs a lot of money.

8. vniow macrumors G4

I was 20 I think then I moved out permanently. I had a temporary arrangement away from home when I was 19 but I didn't leave permanently until a year later. They were moving back across the country around that time to some place I really really didn't want to be so I moved in with my now ex-girlfriend (which was a disaster but that's a different thread).

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed. I coped by cutting down on unnecessary stuff wherever I could. :eek:

Are you looking to move out of your parents at the moment then, lamina?

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Almost 23 and still at home... I have no need to live on my own as of now, but it would be nice to live somewhere else. Hopefully when I transfer I'll get to go somewhere cool.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Imagine, then, the kids who have home leave them (or get passed off from home to home, or live in group homes, etc.).

13. Lau Guest

I couldn't wait to leave home and moved out when I was 18, having desperately wanted to since I was about 13 or 14. I ended up staying with my parents again for six months when I was 22 to get some money together before I started uni. Funnily enough, it was actually fine, I think because I'd grown up a lot, and my parents had got more used to me doing my own thing.

In spite of always having been fiercely independent (to my own detriment more often than not) I was actually really jealous of all the other (slightly younger) students who got to pop back home for a couple of months when they finished uni last summer. The way it all worked out I had to go flat hunting and move cities and look for jobs pretty much a week after I finished and all I really wanted was to go home to my old room and sleep and maybe have my mum make a nice dinner. :p It was strange, because it's almost 10 years since I left home, my dad's filled my old room with junk, and I haven't had any of my stuff there for 5 years. I think I was just really, really tired last summer. :D

14. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

don't feel weird, be glad that you have the choice of staying at home. my financial situation would be much better if i had that option.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Left for university at 18, haven't lived there permanently since then, though I would spend summers there while an undergrad. That ended when I was 22 and off to grad school.

16. Queso macrumors G4

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just turned 18 when I moved out.

I was 24 when moved out of the country for the first time! :)

18. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I stayed all the way through Uni (to save money and cos i get along well with my parents) - then i buggered off overseas!

19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm 21 and still living at home. I couldn't afford to rent :( I'm trying to save up a deposit for a house eventually

20. iRachel macrumors 6502a

23 for me - when I left for graduate school. I lived at home as an undergraduate.

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

22. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Mostly out since I was 19, but back for a few months off and on.

23. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I moved to uni accomodations when I was 19, and moved out of the country for the first time when I was 20. :)

I've been moving further and further away from home ever since. :p The place on Earth that's the exact geographical opposite of Toronto is in the Indian Ocean, although moving to Perth, Australia would be close enough.