Agency: Iraqi defector made up weapons report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Feb 9, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
  2. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK
    To be honest I hope this kind of excuse & buck-passing doesn't fool anyone. There was probably more "intelligence" from defectors to suggest there were no WMD.

What about Saddam's son-in-law who defected in the early 90?. He was, after all, in charge of all WMD production. After defection, he was de-briefed by every intelligence agency both sides of the Atlantic, and his story was clear and consistent - all WMD had been destroyed in 1991. How come this was totally ignored in the final reckoning!

All information which didn't suit the warmongers was was clinically sifted out of the stream going to the UN and the public, with the intention of giving an entirely misleading impression - of that there is less doubt as every day goes by.
  3. wwworry macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2002
    There are even stories about debriefings of Iraqi defectors where the only translator was one of the Iraqi National Congress. When they reviewed the transcripts of the debriefing with an in-house translator it showed that the Iraqi National Congress translator just made stuff up.

Cheney is stupid and made us look stupid.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    To me it looks like these neo-cons got old-fashioned conned. It's looked that way since Ahmed Chalibi's stories began to fall apart as we 'ended major combat' in Iraq.

And like the victim in all good cons, the mark really wants to believe the story the set-up guys are feeding him. Dubya and crew wanted to believe sooooo badly that Saddam had this stuff they ignored any evidence to the contrary, gambling that they would find at least enough WMD to make their case after the fact.

Hook, line, and sinker I tells ya.
  5. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Maybe they thought, what with Chalabi wanted in Jordan for multi-million dollar fraud, that they could trust him.

Honor amongst thieves