Ages of MacRumors members revealed at last

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The subject of the average age of a MacRumors members has come up repeatedly over the years, along with questions about who is the youngest member. Here are a few of the previous threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. There was a MacPolls question about ages in February 2003.

Using my own computations, I present here what I think is an accurate graph of the distribution of ages of currently registered MacRumors members. I have excluded members who are not yet 13 (the minimum to join without permission of a parent or guardian) and I have excluded members who I believe posted incorrect ages as jokes or by mistake. Most members don't post their year of birth, so this is based only on those who do. That subset may not represent the overall membership, but it's the closest we can get.

The X axis is the member age, from 13 to 81. The Y axis is the number of registered members with that age. This result is part of an effort I've made over the last weeks to compute some statistics about MacRumors members and look for interesting facts. The age distribution, being of more general interest than the other stats I've posted, deserved its own thread.

According to my results, there are 9 registered thirteen-year-old members, 71 fourteen-year-old members, and 39 registered members over the age of 65. I found that the mean average age is 30.3, with a wide range around that average (a standard deviation of 10.3). The curve is weighted towards the left, reaching a maximum (the most common age) at 23, with 24 in second place. It drops off rapidly from mid 30s to mid 40s (careers? families?), but has only a gradual decline across the 50s and a long tail of senior citizen members.

The number of 22-year-olds is greater than the number of 21-year-olds by only a single member. But of course the MacRumors age distribution changes slightly every time a member joins or has a birthday, so the exact numbers change daily. Still, the shape of this curve probably stays pretty much the same over time.

Attached Files:

• ages.jpg
      ages.jpg
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
  2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

And of course, this data is all dependent on members entering in their true birthday. It's possible that some are fudging by a year or two.

Now all you need to do is make a world map with little red dots or something for location! :D :eek: :p

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Great. Like I needed another factoid to remind me that I am old. :rolleyes:
    OTOH, maybe I've gotten so old that I actually need someone to remind me once in a while! :D

Seriously, though. Nice work, Q.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

ohh, I'm already down the slope ... Time is running... :eek:

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would bet that over the next ten years it will shift a bit to the older end of the spectrum.....

Don't know if we'll all be around here to see that though :D

D

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Hey, can you do a world map putting everyone in from which country they log in from?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

21 here, nice to see that im not in the age minority yet :D

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

For comparison, here are graphs of age ranges, first the distribution found by the MacPolls poll in February 2003, and then a distribution over the same ranges using my data.

Mr. Anderson may have a good point. In the 20 months between the poll and my computations, it looks like there is a small shift toward the older side.

Attached Files:

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

yeah there are members my age than any other....

Seriously Q, you are a woman with too much free geek time on her hands.

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Observations

Based on my results...

Youngest member (13 years, 3 months):rosanna

Second place, only 11 days behind: bittermagic

Youngest member who has posted (13 years, 6 months): mackasey

Followed by these members, from youngest to oldest:
    XIII (13 years, 8 months)
    fr0ntside (13 years, 9 months)
    ryan42 (13 years, 10 months)
    thornycroft (13 years, 11 months)
    javabear90 (13 years, 11 months, and the only one in this list with over 100 posts)
    o1no1ne (turns 14 tomorrow - Happy Birthday!)​

I hope the following senior members are still going strong:

Oldest registered MacRumors member: Olene Sims, age 81, born June 4, 1923

Runners up, from oldest to youngest:
    frank ratliff, age 78, born January 24, 1926
    CARL_77, age 78, born February 6, 1926
    eugeneg4, age 77, born April 18, 1927
    Milton Guilbeau, age 77, born May 11, 1927​
    Oldest member who has posted: WhitGordon, age 73, born April 27, 1931

Second place: paradiseisland, age 70, born September 21, 1934

Note: I had to make judgment calls on which members had posted their correct ages. I apologize where I've made the wrong assumptions about the credibility of a member's claims. I did my best, and the results are only as accurate as my choices.

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wow there is an 81 year old! i wish my grandma knew how to use a cmputer let alone my parents!

hey alteast im on the upslope still. i dont feel too old yet!

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Let's just say I'm WAY over the apex, and alarmingly close to the end of your graph. Crapperiffic.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

See, now you need to cross-index this with the idea mentioned in the other thread, about username statistics... Because I notice the older people in the list are more likely to use spaces in their names, likely because the younger generation has grown up with the idea that usernames don't contain spaces (I didn't realize they can here until after I joined), probably older people are more likely to use their real names (no, i'm only 22)(yes, i realize the username stats couldn't grok real names)...

Dr. Q, are you a statician? if not, why not? I know you said you spend bored weekends doing this, but I've never spent a boring weekend playing with numbers... :)

paul

14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

15. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

when i registered i was about 3 weeks past being 13... now i'm 14, and maybe someday i'll be 50 and still be posting, with more posts than Mr. Anderson no doubt...
    even at my current 1.4 posts per day, after 37 years i'd have 18,907.. maybe i need to speed up... :p

reality

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the mean age seems to be around 22 1/2 so you are very, very average ;)

some people log on here and lie about their age since they are underage for this site but go on anyway...so i suppose the average is below 21 yrs of age

18. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Guess i should confess... i started reading macrumors when i was 10!! :eek: my real birthday is December 8th 1991... :eek: :eek: :cool:

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

"Drops off rapidly"

Nice choice of words, there.

Looking forward to "my gradual decline"

But I'm OK, with my decay... I have no say...
    – Grandaddy

:)

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And its sure to keep shifting :D

So how many members or percentage of members actually provide their year in the birthdate? You don't have that many so your sub group is only those members willing to share the data. I'd be very curious, and we'll never know, what the curve would be if you had all the members in the chart.

D

21. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

There are 355 members reported to b my age woo hoo.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Take heart Mr. Anderson, we should be around for at least another 20 years, possibly 30. Hopefully Doctor Q will be able to update his statistics. :D

23. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What's the reason for this?

Attached Files:

24. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

wow! that's too bad... although i shouldn't be talking since i lied about my age...

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent thread, just found it! Glad to see I'm near the average at least - not too old yet! And personally, I plan on being here for a while, so I hope the rest of you Mods and Gods are as well! :cool:

Well done Doctor Q, I'll speak on behalf of many other MacRumors members in saying that I really appreciate your efforts. :cool: