Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
I'm moving from WinXP/Cakewalk to an intel iMac and I'm giving Jack/Ardour a try since Audacity for Intel macs is very unstable. Question for folks who hopefully know:

Both Audacity and Jack require the creation of "aggregate devices" in the audio set up of Intel Macs. When I try to create a 2 in/2 out aggregate device using Line in and Line out, the device shows 2 inouts but 0 outputs. Jack shows 2 sends but no receiving conections and I can record in Ardour but no playback. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
And you have jack started when opening audio/midi setup? Choose jack as an audio device with your other device in the aggregate setup. Or how are you doing it?

bbain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Aggregate Devices

I got frustrated and deleted all the aggregate devices I made and started over. I don't think I had Jack running since Jack Router didn't show up as a choice.

Right now I have 2 aggregate devices defined, both are 2 in, 2 out: 1 with Line in and Line out and one with Built in mic and Line out. Are you saying that for use with Jack I should define an aggregate device with Jack Router in and Jack Router out?

I admit to being confused - ASIO and Sonar seemed a lot easier . . . . :) Thanks for the help.

Bill Bain
Atlanta

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.