AGH! Stupid Windows user. XP

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amateurmacfreak, Mar 18, 2006.

1. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Ok, I just need to rant about one of my friend's dads. My friend, sadly, has an old Dell computer. Her father, even more sadly, is the admin for it and is absolutely nuts when it comes to installing software she wants on there. What she wants isn't unreasonable. Here they are listed:

Firefox: According to her father it's "full of bugs." And IE is soooooo much better. :rolleyes:

iTunes: It "doesn't work right with Windows." He compares it to asking someone Italian to speak/understand Chinese. Well, if the Italian can read/speak Chinese perfectly well, why does it matter?? :rolleyes: iTunes can read it. You can store it on your comp and hear AAC with iTunes!!

Quicktime: My friend asked her father, then told me on AIM: "oh, I asked. but I don't think I will be getting it because my dad said that it has been known to "misbehave", meaning it brings viruses onto comps and generally messes things up. :(" I'm sure the software itself doesn't contain viruses and I don't believe it messes stuff up like that, does it?? Ugh.

Well, anyways, end of my rant! I just had to get that out there.
    I feel so bad for my friend. She would be such a person that at least has good software on the comp if she could be. :(

Oh, needless to say, he HATES iPods. His son has a broken Dell jukebox!! Fuuuun.

Yeah, yeah, this was a stupid post. I just felt like ranting about this. It's annoyed me for so long. :eek:

So, if anyone wants to add their rants about Windows users/their stubbornness, feel free! :eek:

2. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I know what you mean, my friend, her dad forbids her to get an iPod because they are made by...(drumroll)... Apple!

Some people I just dont get.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Your friend is a perfect candidate to save up and buy herself a Mac. That way her father won't have anything to do with it.

He'll bitch about how awful Macs are, sure...but she'll have the satisfaction of seeing him dealing with his Windows POS while she happily goes on computing.

4. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I doubt even the CEO of Dell would be this oppressive to his kids.

5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

<rant>

You know something, this is the same with my girlfriend...her stepdad is just plain hateful toward anything Apple!

Last time I went round there he shut off his wireless internet connection so that i couldn't hop on, plus he calls my ibook "The little Useless slab of plastic"

Thats compared to his MASSIVE UGLY sony Laptop that weighs like 2 stone, has a battery that lasts 30 minutes (brand new) and has an ugly tray loading CD drive.....

</rant>

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

My step dad always says Apple will go down the drain.... yet here we are. :rolleyes:

7. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

My oh My Goodness

Gratious!

Well, sadly I'm still running a Dell, couple of spenditures that would keep me ok for a while until the new iBooks or the second gen of MacBookPro's come along.

I have a dell (smallcase intended); which isnt so bad because it keeps my skills on point when it comes to helpdesk support for all things windows or blackberry's.

Some Notes: SP2 WinXP; QuickTimes doesnt import ANY, NADDA, Ziltch virrii on the WinXP platform; even video files it'll ask you if you want to set back preference for it to be the native app when it was originally & you happened to launch a video file with WMP9/10. Her father is speaking verbatim of the same garbage someone unknown was fed to him as it was to his source.

The reason her father is parinoid is because of Virii, Scripts, and spyware amongst other things and has probably yet to realize that WinXP is NOT a full mulitasking OS. It pretends to be but it isnt.

8. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Heh. My mom is starting to want me to get into graphic design. Why, you ask? So I can learn that Macs are good for just graphics. Nothing more. For example, there is apparantly a guy at work who loves Apple, is able to use 'em for work stuff, but he finds that when he's at home, he needs to use Windows for whatever reason, OS X just didn't cut it somehow. I really wanted to say, "Well, the reverse is often true too," but I am good and didn't talk back that time.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

my mom loves her Mac! And hate XP!:cool: My dad, well he is not a fan of computer(mainly because we are all on them to much minus him) but he loves iPod!

:p

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I make money off the retardness of windows users. leave them alone.

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

he's probably a Microsoft certified technician, hence is "fear" of any one else's products.

12. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yeah, the thing is he's actually a "computer person," and he actually knows his computer. :rolleyes: I just don't get why he's so irrational. :cool:
    Luckily, my parents know very little about computers which means.... I can do pretty much anything I want with mine. :)

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah you're 13 right? well he probably wasn't going to listen to you even if you were his age BUT you're a kid to boot. Right or wrong these are still his choices to make and you shouldn't take so much concern.

he's trying to minimize his own headaches, thats all, don't take it personally and tell her to be glad she has a computer at all how about, most kids that young aren't really that lucky!

14. Uma888 macrumors 6502

IMO apple need to fix thier build quality and battery life issues with the ipods. other than that, the iPod is perfect.

15. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I totally agree with that... Apple does need to fix those issues. But the story I was referring to about my friend was actually when she wanted a mini about a year ago. :)

16. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Wow, if we all could do that we'd be millionaire's, because there's plenty to go around.

17. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yeah, you're right, I do sound like a brat complaining about her having a slow Windows comp, and I do feel very lucky personally to have as nice of a computer as I have. I guess the reason I'm annoyed is because she is actually quite knowledgable about computers and could do a lot with a better computer that she could control. :)
    Also, I did try to dispute my friend's dad about iTunes. Once. But I've decided to never do that again. I feel like I'm being disrespectful, and I think some of his bias against getting his kids iTunes/Quicktime might be that he just doesn't want to deal with them having it/nagging for music/nagging for iPod, etc., and I feel like trying to talk to him about it isn't worth it. Firefox is one I just can't understand him not wanting them to have, and I know my friend could really utilize the tabs, so that's why that bugs me.
    So, I'm sorry, if I forgot for a moment that I'm very fortunate to have a good computer in the first place. :) I am thankful for that.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, but the idea of a Windows user complaining about Mac software being buggy and virus-prone....! :rolleyes:

Just a wee bit of irony in that.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Heh. People are telling me this all the time.

I do not like stupid people. :mad:

20. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

sort of, but I didn't push my little sister to get a mac ... I'm sure that puzzles most of you. Here was my reasoning ... occasionally there are things (videos, games, websites) that don't work 100% on my machine. I usually work around these things, or search these forums for solutions. Do I have the patientce to do this for someone else? NO! I don't care. She's really happy with her dell laptop and its been fine so far. XP has improved since its inception ... around here we ignore this but its true sadly. The features don't expand as quickly and theres plenty of virii but in general the machines are getting better and easier to maintain. (She's had 0 problems with her laptop over the past 6 months, probably lots of luck but i'll take either way).

I have a funny side story. I set her and her roommate a wireless network up at the beginning of the year. They are not allowed at the school because people configure them poorly and create some insecurities. Well I set theirs up and it was working fine for a month. Her roommate got a virus or something, and the network saw it and shut down their room. Well she called and said the tech was coming by to figure out what was wrong (at this point they didn't know it was a virus with the roomie's comp. Well I told her to take down the router and just tell the tech you two had been sharing one cable switching between the two machines. This sounded really funny to me and sort of ridiculous (they give you a hub for free you just have to ask for it). Well the tech found no problem in this story because the girls across the hall had been doing exactly that for the first month of school.

21. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

it was an attempt at humor and perfectly rational to say I would like to keep windows user ignorant so I can have job security. btw I am not microsoft certified, I might just have a few certs that might surprise you.

22. amateurmacfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Wait, I'm confused I.... I wasn't talking to you, was I, haha? :confused: I thought was you said about keeping them ignorant was funny.:D :) :cool: And perfectly rational.

23. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Stories like these annoy me SO much! :mad: I seriously cannot stand people who hate on Apple. I have to deal with these kind of people now and then, but I've learned to just tune them out. Most of the time they don't even know what they are talking about anyway.