Agreenster wins 10SecondClub for April

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, May 10, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Hope my arm doesn't snap off from patting my own back, but I need a job and could use all the exposure I can get! :(

Anywho:

www.10secondclub.net is a monthly character animation competition and I happened to win this month for my entry, Brother Turtle.

Here's a link to April's entries...

Link

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Well, I liked it, despite what the critics said. I have always wanted to learn to animate on the computer. Maybe I will buy an animation book now...

3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Wow, that's a great little animation. Tough competition, too--the Ken Rice one was also excellent, mechanically, at least (the choice of facial expressions was a little melodramatic in the fourth place winner). Congrats!

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very nice agreenster. I noticed that they say the same thing, "I love you." :cool:

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Well done, sir.

That was some good competition you beat off there.

Many congrats.

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I meant to congratulate you when I saw the results of the voting over at the club (Stop following me around on the net dude!)

But I'll do it here. Congrats! I've been a member for a few months without submitting a clip. I've been busy. I'm gonna try to do one for May though.

Someone give Adam a Job!!

...and then me...cause I'm now out of school and looking. (Hey, if he can be shameless so can I :p)

7. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Ha ha! For sure. This is a real tough industry to score a cool job in....or any job for that matter! :rolleyes:

Good luck to da bof of us.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Great job Agreenster!

didn't even know the site existed, I'm going to have to get my act together and submit something one month. I did notice that most of the 3d entries are in maya though... :( Have you seen any in Lightwave?

Also, you plan on entering any other ones....this months seems to be a bit more tricky :D

D

9. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, I think there is some other software in there....not for sure though. I think one of them is even blender or something. Software doesnt matter though...

Yeah, the May sound clip is tricky, and almost impossible because its Gollum. Whoever wins will have to do a good parody. I think I'm going to bow out this month and focus on making a new character. Oh, and getting a job.

Damnit.

I've gotten one interview so far, so things are picking up but everyone is just so talented in this field. Someone will recognize my talent hopefully--through the stack of reels...

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's the trick - making your reel stick out. You've got a good one and getting this vote won't hurt. Have you had anyone give you feedback on it? (anyone, meaning someone in the profession who's job it is to sit through all the reels and cull them to decent candidates...)

D

11. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, I've had a few Pixar animators check it out and an animation supervisor from Tippett Studio and they all like the new version (the one on the website right now). I have a lead at Tippett, but they arent hiring until fall when the new projects ramp up for christmas releases.

The problem with getting in is that there are so many people, and so many reels that many of them dont even get looked at. You really have to know someone to get in, and once you get that first film credit, you're good to go. Either that or make a huge presence at film festivals/online films.

I'm still treading water until I decide what to do next. I certainly wont quit.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, the filmfestival/online gambit gets you noticed nicely. It doesn't pay though ;) so its a tough route unless you have a steady income doing something else. Good luck!

And I seriously would make a short 5-10 minute animation with your turtle and submit it to festivals. Its good enough to get noticed - you just need to get a story :D

D

13. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, good 'ol turtle-dude. I'm kinda over him unfortunately...he is pretty limited when it comes to facial expressions so I'm getting ready to move on with a different, more elaborate character. Maybe some fur...more complex facial setup, etc. Something fantastic, like a funny monster or cyborg rabbit. I dunno. I have a funny story idea about an old janitor and his trusty mop. We'll see I guess. It would be a lot easier if I could just land a job!

Maybe if I keep saying it, it will come true!

...job job job job job job job job job job job job job job job job job job

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

let me know if that works... i'm looking for something new to try too

congrats on the win. pretty cool site. i've actually never done any 3D lip sync... i probably should. hah

so now we have at least 3 young animators here that are actively looking for a job... that's a great sign. hah

15. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    mop mop mop, all day long, mop mop mop while i sing this song...

anywho, great job!

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just a quick question Agreenster...

Did you get the movie and look at the original before doing your animation or did you just jump right in?

D

17. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Mop mop mop, all day long is a little too close to home for me....two nights a week I clean offices for extra money....involving lots of mopping...which is why I came up with an idea for an old janitor and his mop story...

-Mr. Anderson

I havent seen The Godfather in years (or was it GF2?) so no, I just jumped right in...

18. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    hahaha, all i could think about was the Adam Sandler skit "The beating of a High School janitor"

19. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

well, yeah....but I'm looking for stop motion only for the time being. Then in a few months when I have no money and my gf gets tired of being my sugar mama I'll look for CG :D

got some leads...but unless they turn into something, they're just another lead

edit: and I LOVE this months sound clip. I'm really glad they waited to use this one for when I would finally graduate and have time to do it. I'll probably do it next week after I move out

and Anderson....there's always some traditional stuff, and in December we rallied some stop motion into the mix :D

20. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I don't think I would want to mess with that turtle, he means business!
    Nice job!

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that would be Dec 2003? Took me a bit to find it-from the icons you really couldn't tell it was stop motion..
    http://www.10secondclub.net/animview_main.php?id=929

so what did you do on it?

D

22. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

here are the stop motion ones:

http://10secondclub.net/animview_main.php?id=929

http://10secondclub.net/animview_main.php?id=953

I didnt do anything but help rally others to submit. I was finishing up details with my story/set in December. I started animating on Jan 2nd...I've been busy so I have yet to do an entry. I will make an attempt to deliver for May...I love the sound byte....such a great challenge. And it isn't fun if it's not hard.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It is a great clip - I look forward to seeing what your *precious* is :D

That's probably going to be the best part on some ....

D

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

congrats! another excellent animation. best of luck on the job hunt.