Ah, carpenter ants...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jun 9, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    We just had our house treated for carpenter ants, so hopefully the problem will go away soon, but...

as I was sitting here, working, I heard a rustling in the paper on the floor, looked down, and saw a massive ant navigating through it. I'd seen some big ones around (which is why we got sprayed), but this one was the Goliath of home ants. It actually made noise due to the paper moving as it walked on it.

Anyone else sharing their homes with giant insects?
  2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I did back in '92. But then again, that was when I lived a few miles east of Chernoble...

I've never heard of ants that large. Catch that thing in a jar and teach it some tricks, or to guard your house or something. Got any pics of it?
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Wow. I killed an ant yesterday that was about 3/4 of an inch long - not sure if it was a carpenter ant or not (no tool belt or anything). Only one I've seen of it's type so far in the house, but we're on a Terminix plan where they spray every quarter.

In terms of smaller ants - there was a colony fight or something going on out in our backyard (about 50 feet from the house). There must have been about 1000 ants or so going at it - looked like a big black blotch until you got close and could see it was ants.

Naturally, I sprayed all of them :D

Edit: Just noticed the link, and a quote at said link:

It goes on to talk about driling holes and pouring boric acid. I think you were right to call a professional.
  4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    We had a problem with a colony of ants last year (on the third floor of our condo, believe it or not, and we got some poison that they eat and take back to the nest. Worked a charm.

Spiders, I'd freak.

Roaches, I'd move out until they were gone.
  5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'll get pics of the next one. This one ended up crushed due to my accidentally grinding it into the floor with my shoe. Twice.

I'm a bit concerned now, because every time I leave my office for a while, the PowerMac is moved a bit closer to a crack in the wall. I suspect they're up to something. If so, let me be the first to say "All hail our new ant overlords!"
  6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    JSW - I see you're in Andover, MA - I wonder if carpenter ants are a regional thing? I grew up near Nashua, NH and we used to get them every spring in our house as well. Big 'uns too, like the size about which you're talking.

Now that I live in Oakland, instead of carpenter ants, we're inundated with billions of the really tiny black ants. Just about everyone out here has them, apparently regardless of the age of their house or location of there apartment: a friend on a 20th floor apartment in a newer building had them.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I've seen an occasional large black ant in my house. I usually crush them, they are quit difficult to kill.
  8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I've seen one or two carpenter ants in the house and I'm getting concerned where they might be coming from. That link has a couple good suggestions and I might try one before I call an exterminator.

9. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    We've got a baby on the way (in a week or less), so we didn't want to mess around and hoped an exterminator would take care of the problem. I suppose the treatment was helpful - we're seeing ~50 dead ants a day now. I hope the total number of ants (dead and alive) goes to 0 soon. If not, I'll try the "follow them to the nest" suggestion in the link (which I found after the exterminator left).
  10. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    :D :D :D :D

That made me laugh!!
  11. ejb190 macrumors 65816

Ant resources from University Extension Services:
    U of Kentucky
    Ohio State (I like this one)
    Purdue University
    University of Nebraska (Cool site!)
    And there are a whole bunch more...

Be careful when using pesticide recomendations. I noticed several publications still list Dursban and Diazinon, which were taken off the market a couple of years ago. Contact your local Extension Office for more information on chemicals.

I was looking for a really cool ant ID chart I use here at work, but I couldn't find it. Carpenter ant nests are generally only found in wet and weakened wood. So look for places where water damage might occur like around a window, door, the edge of a roof. One or two ants in the house every few days does not mean much. 5 or more every day? We might have a problem.

Sorry. I have answered WAY too many bug calls this week!
  12. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Did you get a bid on any work you might need done around the house? Put 'em to work!
  13. satty macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    You can't beat Wellington on a good day
    Watch this...

Phase IV

Didn't see it for a while, but I can remember that I had lots of respects for ants afterwards.
  14. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I should have - finding a reliable contractor is not easy these days!
  15. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC

I hate bugs...and where I live, there's no choice but to deal with them.

When I first moved into my condo last year, there was a carpenter ant problem in my place. Turns out that they were nesting in the sprinkler control-system outside, which is mounted right to one of the walls. Once they came and cleaned it out, they went away.

I saw a couple of roaches when I first moved in, but that went away. I keep my place really clean so I think that helps. Otherwise, I don't get much except for the flying-stuff that's everywhere down here.
  16. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Man at my mom's old place the whole floor in that apartment building was infested. Our place was so bad that when 15+ of my friends stopped by - when the parents were gone for the summer - the guys didn't mind seeing the odd roach while we were drinking, before heading downstairs to a party. But when the girls stopped by one girl FREAKED OUT and screamed like a murder scene. A roach was on the wall above another girls head! One of my buddies squashed it on sight with his bare hands - I never could do that, bare hands - and you should've seen all the girls faces when another guy said that was my pet, and began to fake cry. You could almost see remorse in all their faces; until all the guys busted a gut rolling on the floor laughing. Seriously roaches are nasty no matter where they are. If their in your house move out and don't move back. They know where you eat, sleep, wash, etc. If they moved in they wont check out till its demolished.