Ah, good old Windows...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, May 31, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Now that's funny. Once I had trouble with my internet to set up and the manual said to go online for more details.

3. brap macrumors 68000

1. That's not Windows.
    2. What else do you expect it to do? The BIOS is obviously explicitly set to halt on all errors. It's just doing what it's told.

4. armandocerna macrumors regular

It should give an error message the funny part is that it's asking you to push F1 to contiune. Maybe that was obvious though. :D

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Is that not windows booting?

6. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

It's Windows booting, not Windows. Windows is booted using a loader in ROM.

andy.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

They were merely stating what is true, the bios is not part of windows, even though it was loading the cursed software ;) .

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Perhaps it was loading Linux, Unix, BeOS, or some other operating system besides Windows.
    The title should be "Ah, good old Award BIOS..."

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Shows what I know!
    Been seeing this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]
    for so many years! :)

10. sonyrules macrumors regular

Its the bios starting... It has nothing to do with windows. But i get the point about pressing F1... I think it is kinda funny

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I think what it means is once you plug in your keyboard, you can press F1 to continue booting. I understand it is somewhat humorous on the facade, but when you think about it, it makes sense.

12. iPoster macrumors regular

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

How else are you going to communicate with the computer? A mouse is irrelevant, and so is sticking your finger into the PS/2 slot or kicking it. What does it matter that the boot screen tells you to plug back in the keyboard - you have to communicate with it somehow...

14. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I still love that many common LCD monitors do not work with Windows XP during installation, that USB devices (including keyboards) are not detected during installation or cannot be used and that PC's still rely on PS2 ports.

My nightmare today was getting a microphone setup on our gaming PC for teamspeak. The drivers were all installed, it just couldn't detect any sound. Thank god for Macs and their built in microphones and audio in lines that need absolutely no configuration. Computers are meant to be tools, not things to drive us nuts.

15. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Bingo.

The idea is that the computer is saying "Hey...either you forgot to plug in your keyboard, the connection is loose, or your keyboard died. Fix the problem and then press F1 so we all know everything his hunky-dory"

16. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

Being an IT guy at a college I have set up 250+ PC's/servers in the last year. All use usb keyboards and 75% of them use lcd monitors. I have never had an issue with usb keyboards/mice and lcd panels not working durning an install. I may be wrong but maybe you were using some really old hardware?

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have a Win 98 machine here at work that has been sitting on the same screen for a month. It is titled "Windows Mouse Support" and says there is no mouse attached and that to hook up a PS/2 mouse you must restart the computer. The funny part is that there is a checkbox to never show that window again and an "OK" button.

I would post a pic but I don't have a camera.

18. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

ah yes, windows 98. there may be an issue with usb support. The check box could easily be selected by tabing to it and using the spacebar. Also you could tab to the "ok" button and hit enter. Its not like you couldnt use windows without a mouse.

But I must admit the original bios screen was a little funny.

-

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It asked for F1 before it displayed the keyboard error.

20. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Being a PS/2 keyboard, he'll have to hit the reset button (or do a hard reboot) after he plugs the keyboard in. BIOS won't probe that port again until the new power-up.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I forgot which BIOS software I have, but one cool thing about it is that it has internal USB support. So I can tell it to support USB through the BIOS instead of through the OS. This enables me to use my USB keyboard/keyboard even in floppy-bootable programs (for flashing, reformatting and other tasks) that don't support USB. Saved me a lot of hassle with Linux too. I can stand on the BIOS support until I load an USB driver. Nice!

22. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If you have an LCD that's capable of using non-native resolutions and plug it into a standard video connector, there should be no problem.

The only problem I could think of would be the LCD's inability to handle XP's default drivers or the card's inability to mediate between the drivers and the display.

Drivers? For a microphone?

23. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

My USB keyboard and mouse worked just fine last time I installed Windows XP. Hadn't touched the PS/2 ports for a long, long time. So no problems there for me.

Don't know about Teamspeak since I've never bothered with audio communication on the PC, but I know some friends of mine stuggled with it, so you might be right there. (Actually never used the built-in mic on my PB).