Ah the glory of religious expression...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Oct 28, 2003.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Things like this are the reason I didn't want Roy Moore to be able to put the 10 commandments up in his courtroom. If you allow something most people deem harmless (ie. "hanging 10") then you also are allowing this kind of religious speech as well. The constitution doesn't allow you to pick and choose your "allowed" speech. It only allows you to say whether religious statements are allowed or not. Giving preferential treatment to one POV is not acceptable. It's an all-or-nothing deal, and we can clearly see here that not everyone can handle that kind of responsibility.

FWIW, I think the Eagles, who donated the original 10 commandments monument in the park, are really trying to take the high road here, and I applaud them for their attempts to bridge this instead of turning it into a religion-vs-godlessness fight.

(edit: spelling)

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

This is so stupid. I am an atheist and I don't see anything wrong with displaying the ten commandments anywhere. At least it's wholesome. I really could care less.

But this opposite sides issue where the minority is totally incorrect is just wrong.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It would be hard to imagine a more cruel and stupid action than what Phelps is trying to do to the community of Casper, not to mention Shepard's family.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

agree 100%. how can phelps (who i learned of a while ago and think is a complete scumbag) be so confused as to think this kind of hate jives at all w/ the christian message of love and tolerance?

i must conclude phelps harbors homosexual feelings and hates himself for it. he doth protest too strongly.

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

So no one who is pro-religious-displays-in-public-places wants to step up and tell us why they think allowing only some religions to express things and not others is ok? Or that Phelps should be allowed to express his religion in public spaces? What happened to Roy Moore's supporters?

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Well, I don't think "tolerance" is the word to use, but "compassion" is. Christ never said everything is right, just to love those that are wrong (which includes every one of us on a regular basis). While I believe homosexuality is a sin, IMHO putting up a statue like Phelps proposes is an affront to everything I see in the Bible. Christ said that his disciples would be known by their love, not by telling everybody "on the outside" that God hates them.