Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch, One-Third of Smartphones Sold Have Screens Larger Than 5"

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the next iPhone widely expected to be available in larger screen sizes, Canalys reports that a third of all smartphones sold worldwide in the first quarter had screen sizes larger than five inches, a full inch larger than Apple's 4" iPhone 5s screen. The five-inch market -- some 90 million units in the quarter -- was the fastest growing portion of the smartphone market in the first quarter.

Internal documents released during the Apple v. Samsung trial show how Apple has been aware of consumer interest in larger screened smartphones for quite some time, and the iPhone 6 is expected to have 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch options to compete in this market.

[​IMG]
    Only 12 percent of smartphones sold had screens of 5.5-inches or larger, with 22% between 5 and 5.4-inches and the rest smaller than 5-inches, including all iPhones.

The iPhone 6 is widely expected to be launched this fall with a a 4.7-inch option, perhaps at 1704x960 pixels, and a larger 5.5-inch version that may launch later due to supply constraints.

Article Link: Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch, One-Third of Smartphones Sold Have Screens Larger Than 5"

2. macrumors regular

Surprising. Seems like everyone has a 4"+ at least.

3. macrumors regular

Damn... that's a lot... So there are bigger players besides SamSung catering to that market ?

4. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Headline could easily be restated as:

"Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch, Two-Thirds of Smartphones Sold Have Screens Smaller Than 5"

Takes on a very different tact then, huh? :)

5. macrumors 6502a

Correct. Mega-phones are a small portion of the market. Big enough for Apple to go after, but certainly not deserving of 3+ years of endless media attention. Most people want their portable devices compact.

6. macrumors 6502

I personally prefer phones with screen sizes between 3.5 and 4 inch screens because I have smaller hands. But I always find myself looking at lower-quality handsets because the flagship models are always "large". Each to their own, I guess.

7. macrumors member

What a stupid chart. It doesn't even break up screen sizes smaller than 5". It would have been interesting to see the breakdown of Smaller than 3.5", 3.5", 4.0", 4-5", etc.

8. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

9. macrumors 6502a

I just hope there will be options with the iPhone 6... I am perfectly happy with the 5s, and nothing will make me go to a bigger size. I think the people with their huge phones/mini tablets look stupid, and they are impossible to carry around and still look professional. If there is not, I either will not upgrade, or switch to another manufacturer.

10. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Making our brains hurt, at least once a day.

11. macrumors member

ChrisNH

Law of diminishing returns

Many people go practically masturbatory over big screens, missing the obvious drawback that 'bigger' also means unwieldy.

12. macrumors 6502

attila

13. macrumors 6502

It was just an Excursion until Eddie Bauer got involved.

14. macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The mind shutters at the thought of what Apple is going to charge for the larger iPhones.

15. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So that means 66% would be the iPhone. Still pretty good market share :p

16. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

I remember when this was cool.

[​IMG]

17. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Would it have been so terrible for Apple to release iPhones in multiple screen sizes? This trend isn't that new, they should have seen this coming. Now they look like they're reacting to the market (which they are) instead of anticipating where it would go and being ready with a product.

18. macrumors regular

It seems like most people would buy the 4.7 inch version. I however, must be in the minority as I am looking forward to upgrading my iPhone 5 to a 5.5" iPhone 6. :)

Also 1/3 larger than 5" is a huge area for Apple to expand into. Expect Apple's 2014 revenue to be record breaking.

19. macrumors 6502

and shrinking every day. There.

20. macrumors 604

bushido

havent u heard, its not about "being first but taking the time to do it right" at least thats what apples marleting says

21. macrumors 6502

Not true

22. macrumors regular

Jack97

Things could get a bit awkward if someone took that chart out of context :p

23. macrumors member

thepro8

Still one of my favorite all time phones, Just wish it had better rf perforamce

----------

It would be really nice to see how much of the 66% is the iphone. That would tell you how much it is skewing the results...I bet a lot.

24. macrumors regular

Agreed! I've owned a note 2 a galaxy s4 and an HTC one. The HTC was a good size. Can't wait for iPhone 6!

25. macrumors 65816

slffl