Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Its hard to draw even remotely useful conclusions from this data because, as anyone who follows the smart phone market knows, the flagship phones for most non-Apple manufacturers only come with larger screens. You can't even get a Galaxy Phone smaller than 5" anymore. And for the phones that are available in smaller screen sizes, they are lower specced versions. Carriers and manufacturers are driving screen sizes to be larger, rather than the market showing they want the larger sizes by having choices.

I agree with your conclusion. I think most consumers aren't necessarily in love with super-huge displays. I'm sure there is a small segment of consumers who do prefer larger displays due to poor eyesight or for watching videos. The problem is with Wall Street and analysts drawing wrong conclusions about how the current iPhone is a fail because of the smaller display. I'm only saying that Apple should at least offer a larger display for those who do want one. Why should it be so difficult for Apple to offer a larger display when nearly every other smartphone manufacturer is able to?

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
I suppose the other two-thirds who don't want a large phone are inadequate, they just haven't gotten the memo.

The things a person can learn here.

What do you think that percentage would be if Apple was also selling a 5" phone during the same period? You think it would still be only 1/3 rd? Resist and complain all you want. The people and market has spoken and even Apple has acknowledged it by deciding to go with bigger phones. Add this to the list of things you learned today.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Would it have been so terrible for Apple to release iPhones in multiple screen sizes? This trend isn't that new, they should have seen this coming. Now they look like they're reacting to the market (which they are) instead of anticipating where it would go and being ready with a product.

I agree. There should have been at least two different size iPhones a couple of years ago. Why did they wait so long? Did they think it was a passing fad?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I agree. There should have been at least two different size iPhones a couple of years ago. Why did they wait so long? Did they think it was a passing fad?

They did/do have 2 sizes. You can still purchase the 3.5inch 4s for "free".

These numbers are really eye opening. It's going to be interesting to see how much apple takes off with a larger phone. Most the people I talk to are only interested in screen size (not saying it right or wrong it just is what it is)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I suppose the other two-thirds who don't want a large phone are inadequate, they just haven't gotten the memo.

The things a person can learn here.

I'd like to know the percentage over 4", that would be a better comparison IMO.

----------

They did/do have 2 sizes. You can still purchase the 3.5inch 4s for "free".

These numbers are really eye opening. It's going to be interesting to see how much apple takes off with a larger phone. Most the people I talk to are only interested in screen size (not saying it right or wrong it just is what it is)

Thanks. I totally forgot about the 4S. So Apple has small and smaller. :D Apple will break all sales records with the larger iPhone. Guaranteed.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
This size fad is annoying me, can we be done with it and get back to shrinking things and make an iphone mini? 2.5"-3" screen and 40 grams please.

It is not a fade. Larger screen are easier to read on, gives you a better web broswing experience and watching videos is better. I don't know why posters on this forum think larger screens are just a fad.

Smaller phones were used in the past because there was no web browsing, youtube, apps. You only used it to call,text and play space invaders or snake. Do you think you can run apps like ms word on a screen of an old Motorola v flip phone?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Jesus Christ. Am I the only sane person on the planet who DOESN'T WANT a larger screen size?!? I don't have freaking Inspector Gadget thumbs... I can barely reach the corner of the screen as it stands now without using 2 hands. Plus, since I'm one of the few people in America who isn't obese, my pockets aren't oversized enough to hold a larger iPhone anyways. I seriously hope that Apple hasn't completely lost their minds on this, and that they still offer the existing sized iPhone as an option.

Just you and the one person who up voted your post. :D:D

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
What a stupid chart. It doesn't even break up screen sizes smaller than 5". It would have been interesting to see the breakdown of Smaller than 3.5", 3.5", 4.0", 4-5", etc.

I was thinking the same. Many of the 'best' Android phones are in the 4.5" to 5" range, significantly larger than the iPhone.

Also consider that all iPhone are in the 66%, if you were to remove iPhones from the graph the > 5" section become even larger. Most people, when they have a choice, are choosing phones > 4" and many going > 5".

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
It is not a fade. Larger screen are easier to read on, gives you a better web broswing experience and watching videos is better. I don't know why posters on this forum think larger screens are just a fad.
They aren't a fad. In fact, for the vast majority of phone users, they aren't a thing at all. It is a bunch of media bobble heads trying to make a story where none exists. The few who want a phone that covers their face already have plenty of options and don't need Apple. Apple's users already have a great phone and don't need this. The story is simply silly.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
It's more expensive and much harder to make a smaller phone than a larger one with the same quality of internals. That's why you can't find a high end 4" Android phone. The larger size could quite possibly be cheaper than the smaller ones.

Well, that's a nice thought. But I'm expecting the 4.7" to be $100 more than the base model, and the 5.5" to be at least another $100 on top of that. Maybe more.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What do you think that percentage would be if Apple was also selling a 5" phone during the same period? You think it would still be only 1/3 rd? Resist and complain all you want. The people and market has spoken and even Apple has acknowledged it by deciding to go with bigger phones. Add this to the list of things you learned today.

I didn't learn anything I didn't know already, since I already knew that some people simply assume that their needs are everyone's needs, even if they aren't.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008

Smaller phones were used in the past because there was no web browsing, youtube, apps. You only used it to call,text and play space invaders or snake. Do you think you can run apps like ms word on a screen of an old Motorola v flip phone?

You (and companies making phones these days) seem to assume I want to have a better experience browsing or doing stuff. I want something as small and light as possible to carry around with me 24/7, that is still capable of web browsing in an emergency. ease of reading is not worth the size or weight tradeoff for me. I most definitely don't care about running apps like ms word. 5 inch phones suck for web browsing compared to a 7 inch tablet anyways. Especially with siri improving all the time, you need a screen for less and less things.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
This data is not being interpreted correctly. iPhones and budget prepaid android phones are all under 5" and neither one of these crowds have any options.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I remember when this was cool.

383797_1.jpg

I had one of those. I was quite pleased with it right up until sometime in early January 2007. ;)

bbqkimchi

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
Austin
I'm ready for rumors of a screen smaller than 4". I've had an iPhone since the 3GS and I'm over the app rush. I only use safari on the iphone in emergency situations, maps, youtube, and for texting/calling. Email, for realz browsing, and anytime I really wanna use/enjoy an app, I use an iPad. I'm all for an iPhone nano. Get crazy Apple, make a 3" screen with a new simple interface. I feel the 5S is as large as I need a phone to be.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Just throwing this out there, I still think people look ridiculous with a 5"+ phone. I mean, it really does look stupid IMO. I don't understand this emphatic obsession people put on phones and crazy large screens for doing things, like it's a *phone.* Use it for some things, but if you really want to do things that require a larger screen, use an iPad. A phone should never be a primary source of entertainment and everything else is suited just fine to a sub-5" screen. I'm still planning on getting a 4S to get my 3.5" screen back. Much preferred that size tbh.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not surprised over the the large ratio, I think a larger phone is much more flexible and useful then a smaller one.

I think people who push for the small form factor thing one size fits all, but that's not the case and I think these numbers speak to that. Some folks like larger screens.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Correct. Mega-phones are a small portion of the market. Big enough for Apple to go after, but certainly not deserving of 3+ years of endless media attention. Most people want their portable devices compact.

Hmmm. I think most people would perceive 33% of any market pretty good size and one worthy of a company like Apple (FINALLY) going after a piece of it.

And in a similar vein, the 10-14% of the desktop market that Apple occupies is small but they would KILL for 33% of that market...even in a post-pc era.

And for the record, I have been complaining about the size of the iphone from the beginning. Finally, it appears they will market a phone that is easier to read and with a virtual keyboard that is larger and easier to use.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Headline could easily be restated as:

"Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch, Two-Thirds of Smartphones Sold Have Screens Smaller Than 5"

Takes on a very different tact then, huh? :)

True, but I'm willing to bet that other than the iPhone, well over 90% of high end phones have screens 4.7" or larger and over 99% have screens larger than 4". Apple is the last refuge for the 4" display, and even their research shows they can get away with it for much longer. There will remain a market for 4" screens, but the future is much larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.