Ahem, anyone else think these PS3 announcements = Nintendo for the win?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, May 8, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Way I see it people are going to see the PS3 as overpriced and with lame copycat features on the controller. All the innovation is going to to Nintendo's way and all the graphics whore games to MS, being as it's cheaper, been out longer, and hence is more likely to have a larger user base...

I think this all adds up to Nintendo in the #1 by the end of 2007.

Oh and I hope Nintendo sues the bejesus out of them if they come close to infringing on any of their Wii patents.

Oh and for the record the dual shock controllers are the must uncomfortable difficult to use pieces of crap ever. Who calls a round button TRIANGLE? Trying to teach a non-gamer to use that thing is impossible... "hit the SQUARE button!" "Uh. mine are all round!" "No, I mean the one with the picture of the square." "OH. Er, wait, all the print is rubbed off on this one, which button is it?" "Never mind, hit the right shoulder button now." "Er, which one? Top or bottom?" "It's R1." "Yes, but is that top or bottom?"

Ya, very user friendly. And that's the design they decided to put up against the Wiimote. For 2-3x the price. Hahahha.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Substitute "Microsoft" for "Nintendo" in your post and I'd agree with you.

The PS3 is turning out to be MUCH less than originally promised with a price tag that is closer to what *I* predicted a while back than what a lot of the Sony fanboys have been saying. $600 for a console, close to $700 with ONE game and sales tax?

Thanks, but no thanks. The only reason I'll buy one now is (possibly) as a cheap Blu-Ray player... and that's if I'm still thinking that Blu-Ray even has a chance to survive. HD-DVD is going to do really well, especially if Microsoft keeps the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 close to the $100-$150 price range.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Rubbish...The controllers are different even though i hate the tilt crap in the ps3...Nintendo controllers is much more..The tilt and motion things are different.

Sony did a good job and right now is at the high end of the stick: bluetooth,SD card reader,WiFi,Freeonline....The games look good as well as the psp connection...i see a K.O. by sony

Ok now i'm ready for the Wii.

Bless

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think that Nintendo will move more units than MS due to 1) price, there are people who balked at the $300-400 360 and hoped the PS3 would be about the same price, forcing a cut by MS. That's not likely to happen now, so that leaves a Wii. 2) The GameCube-like second system stauts. MOST people this time around got a GC as a 2nd system, after a PS2 or XBox for the party games and must have Ninty titles (Mario, Zelda, etc). 3) the "non-gamer/girl" crowd. Big factor if they decide to bite.

Oh, and it looks like the $500 model won't have an HDMI connection, so if you want a decent BluRay player, you're still looking at $600.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. You have no way of telling how long Sony has been working on this controller. For all any of us know, it could predate Nintendo's design and Nintendo is infringing on patents of Sony. Let's wait for the dust to settle before jumping to any conclusions.

2. The 360 and the PS3 are obviously competitors. But do people really think that the Wii is a competitor with these other two? I think Nintendo looks for a different market. Sony and MS market toward teenagers to adults that look for realistic games (with some exceptions) with top-of-the-line hardware. Nintendo markets toward children and teenages (and some adults) that are slightly less enthused about scorching hardware and are more interested in fun, light, party, (and sometimes more cartoony) games.

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

1) I can't say this for certain, I haven't watched it, but a few people are claiming that in the presentation where this was announced the presenter actually says "we decided to add this a couple months ago". Seems like they WOULDN'T say that, even if it were true, but who knows. That said, this sticks of copy cat to me. Even if they planned this from the get go, when Ninty announced it with about 100x the level of sophistication, they should have dropped it just to save face and spend the money and time on some other feature. Like paying someone to come up with a better button layout and naming system.
    2) I know exactly 1 adult with an Xbox. I know 5 with GameCubes. Ya, kids love the Mario, etc, but it's the teens who MS and Sony sells to, not Nintendo. Adults love the party games and the fun quick pickup games.

7. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Most of us, people that follow technology, would look at this and say, wow we get ALL this stuff for 600 dollars, cool! To a general gaming crowd, people look at that and go, "600 dollars?!?! for a videogame?!?!"

The PS3 looks great. I could only see myself getting one at launch for a cheap blue ray player though. They are essentially limiting this system to hardcore gamers and people that can afford it. Nintendo is going to be cheaper and will attract the more casual crowd AS WELL AS the hardcore crowd. I am a pretty avid gamer and huge nintendo AND sony console fan, but Nintendo may pull away with this one.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It would be real nice if the Big N can pull a 1st place this gen...cuz i would hate to see them get dogged again. The way i see it nintendo will make the huge leap this gen with sony staying in place and microsoft getting bumped to the back of the list.

Buts thats just me....

Bless

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I watched the entire thing and I don't remember that. I'm not going to say it wasn't said because those presentations are boring and I easily could have missed it. Sony made it sound like this controller was under wraps for a long time, even before PS3 was fist announced last year.

My friends and I are all in are early to mid 20s. We all have PS2s (about 12 of us in total). Three have Xboxes (is that how you pluralize Xbox?) as well; One has a 360; One has a Gamecube. Other than him, I don't know any one over about 15 with a Gamecube. I know plenty of children with them though. We hate the quick party games. We'd prefer sports titles or online military games. Gamecube just doesn't cut it for us.

10. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Looks like the line was "developers have only known about this for a couple weeks". So not quite proof they added it last minute, but certainly doesn't give you the feeling they've been planning it from the get go.

Well... not trying to sound liek a jerk, but those are kind of games that most teens seem to play. I'll admit I like a good round of a shooter every now and again with some buddies online especially, but for the most part, Mario Kart/Party + a case of beer = gaming for my friends. Shrug, s'pose that shows you that you can't just lump a group into a general catagory like that!

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You guys have to remember that Internet geeks (us) who drone on and on about gaming consoles (us) aren't the target market. :)

I think all three consoles will do just fine.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I do remember them saying that. But they also brought out the controller in a box that said do not open until E3 2006. I can't explain it, but while watching it I got the feeling that they've been working on it for a while.

You don't sound like a jerk. To me, Mario Party sounds like a game a only children play. :p
    I guess everyone is different and every group is different. It just adds more proof that this video game war is long from over and anyone could win.

Oh and by the way, beer goes very well with Madden, Arena Football, Fifa, and NHL.

13. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think they $500 starting price (figure an easy $800 to $1000 for bundles with controllers, games, cables, etc) is going to seriously put a damper on Sony's sales to NON internet geeks.

Little Bobby's mom is going to see $700 with a game, a second controller, and tax for the base system and laugh (especially if she drives an SUV and it costs her $60 to fill up every week). They mind as well have put some spyware on the thing for good measure.

14. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes, well, I can crap in a box and put "scented candle" on the label, doesn't make it so, to paraphrase Tommy Boy.

I've plaid my fair share of sports games, but seriously, you ever try Mario Party? You should rent it, go over to the one guy you know with a GameCube and give it a go. Terrific fun. I'm 26, my wife is 24, my best friends are 25 and we play that more than probably any other game except Mario Kart. When we were, oh, 16 or so Quake 2 and it's exploding people was lots of fun, and still good for a lark now and then, but we've probably looged more Mario Party time thatn Quake time overall.

15. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Zelda is one of the best game franchises ever, period. Adult, child teenager, whatever, it's an incredible entity that everyone can agree on. This shouldn't be an argument about which is more adult, because all of us have different people with different tastes. I am a nintendo and a sony fan and so are a lot of people I hang out with. I support both because they are both going to be great BUT I don't know if I will have enough money at launch for a PS3. I will start saving!

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'd take killing and explosions and skill vs. cuddly characters that call "partying" a great time without beer and hot chicks. Sorry. The demographics for each console are pretty clear. Nintendo=15 and under, PS and Xbox=15 and up.

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Like I said, it was just a feeling of the moment. I don't know when they started developing it and you don't either. None of use do.

I have tried Mario Party 2. My friend owns it. I found it extremely boring.

I'm not in to the blowing things up. I love MGS, but only because I love sneaking around. I play the game over and over until I can beat it with out killing anyone (other than bosses). But with friends, I like to play cooperative military games such as Conflict: Global Terror. It's not about blowing things up, but rather putting together good strategies on how to complete a mission.

18. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

hahaha, good one. You won the thread.

19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't know anything about this site and it's accuracy, but I found this interesting.

As of 2004:
    35% of all PS2 owners are < 18
    40% of all PS2 owners are 18-35
    25% of all PS2 owners are > 35

I'm shocked that 25% are older than 35.

http://www.broadq.com/market_opportunities.php

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You wouldn't believe how long I've been saving that one up ;). I somehow knew it would come in handy for E3.....

Anyway I'm quickly ducking back to the thread to see what Onizuka posts. Looks like he's got a good head of Machismo-steam up!

21. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd say more like under 14 = Nintendo, 15-23 = PS and MS, 24+ = PS/MS if your single, Nintendo if you have wife/gf. :p

Any by the way, I promise you that more hot chicks play Mario Party than Madden and Halo combined.

Well there's your problem, MP2 was an N64 game, if I recall. Check out MP6 or 7. The mic add-on in 7 is pretty fun stuff.

22. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

This is pretty good, I thought... [​IMG] You have to laugh no matter what you think about the controller.

23. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

24. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, he IS an Avs fan afterall... :p