AHH! DISASTER!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DigitalVideo, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DigitalVideo macrumors newbie

If anyone can please help me...

The superdrive on my 6 MONTH OLD Powerbook just spontaneously broke. I can push a CD in and hear the mechanism click, but it doesn't pull the CD in at all. I pushed the CD in as much as possible without losing it (so that there's about .5 cm of CD left sticking out) and nothing happens. I should also note that the whole computer (including the superdrive) worked flawlessly until today and it has not been dropped/spilled on/banged or bruised and very rarely even moved. Is there anything I can do (call Apple of course...)???

And of course this happens a few days before I need to burn a DVD project... :mad:

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have had 2 superdrives do similar things to me - one wouldn't eject the other wouldn't accept the disk - almost the same as yours. Mine was still covered under AppleCare as yours probably is too. I took mine into the local Apple Store - they tried to fix it on the spot - no go. They shipped it out and in 3 days it was back at the store with a new SuperDrive.

If you're on a tight time crunch with a DVD project you might ask the guys in the store if you can use one of the diplay models to finish your project - doubt it would work but it's worth a shot.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

This may sound stupid, but I know people who have done this. Is there an unmounted CD/DVD in the drive already? I know someone who had this issue, and we found that there was already a CD in there. Managed to completely ruin the CD he was trying to insert on top of the initial one.

You might want to go to Disk Utility and see if there are any disks in the drive.

4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I don't see why this wouldn't work....finish your project up to the point right before you're ready to burn it, then save it. Hook your 'Book up in the store to a SuperDrive-equipped Mac, copy the project over, and burn away. There's no reason they shouldn't allow that.

5. advres Guest

advres

I had a nice issue with my superdrive as well. It would get to about 50minutes (roughly) into any DVD and would just die and the dvd player would say "DVD player has encounted a problem it can not recover from". I had all these crazy kernal panics all the time too.

I explained this to the Apple store "genius" and they sent it out for repair. My screen had those nice white spots too at the time! I dropped it off on a Sunday night right before they closed and it was back in the store by Friday afternoon complete with a new screen and a new super drive. It sucked being without for a few days but just bring it in to get fixed. you'll be happy you did. If it is really as you explain it should be pretty simple to show the "genius" that there is a problem on your waranteed book.

good luck