Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
The windows, that is. I have my computer set to 1280x1024 and coming from Windows, I feel like everything is just huge. 1280x1024 used to give me a lot to play with in XP, but is OSX I feel like everything is huge and cluttered - the fonts, the icons, everything. Is there a way to make everything smaller?

Thanks,
Dan

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Big problem of mine too. ;)

Can you increase your resolution further? What sort of configuration do you have (Mac and screen)?

Try pressing COMMAND-SHIFT-MINUS inside apps such as Safari to make them appear smaller. You can also change the icon sizes by typing COMMAND-J in a window and fiddling with the slider. I hope this helps a little. :)

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
ive noticed that aswell, macs look better on huge screens on the otherhand if youve seen windows on a 24" pc screen it looks kinda crappy

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
dmurray14 said:
The windows, that is. I have my computer set to 1280x1024 and coming from Windows, I feel like everything is just huge. 1280x1024 used to give me a lot to play with in XP, but is OSX I feel like everything is huge and cluttered - the fonts, the icons, everything. Is there a way to make everything smaller?

Thanks,
Dan
You know you can change the sizes of things, right? It might help the feeling of overload. Same goes for the dock.

Attachments

• sizes.jpg
    sizes.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 90

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
mad jew said:
Big problem of mine too. ;)

Can you increase your resolution further? What sort of configuration do you have (Mac and screen)?

Try pressing COMMAND-SHIFT-MINUS inside apps such as Safari to make them appear smaller. You can also change the icon sizes by typing COMMAND-J in a window and fiddling with the slider. I hope this helps a little. :)

Thanks, that helped as far as the internet (firefox).

Mad jew - to answer your question - its a G4 connected to a Dell 17" flat panel that is native at 1280x1024 (so that's where I want to keep it).

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
emw said:
You know you can change the sizes of things, right? It might help the feeling of overload. Same goes for the dock.

Thanks...I did that already. However, things like iChat still have comparitively HUGE icons and text...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Funny, the default XP theme always makes a screen feel much more crowded than using a Mac, but maybe that's just taste. Taking web browsers as an example, Safari has a zero pixel border on the left and a thrifty 15 pixel scrollbar on the right; the buttons at the top are far smaller than the IE default, and the bottom strip can be turned off entirely. The only universally lost space is the stripe at the top for the menus, which is smaller than the default Windows Taskbar, and though you can't hide it you don't need the menus at the top of every window which saves net space.

Still, the obvious things to do are:

-Reduce the size of the dock; either use the pref pane or just drag the seperator over by the trash

-Auto-hide the dock (again, right/control click on the seperator or use the prefs; it pops back up when you put your mouse on that screen edge)

-Move the Dock to either the right or left side (it makes more difference on widescreen monitors, but is still a bit more efficient on standard 4:3 ones like yours)

-Use the Finder View Options to reduce icon and font size

-If you don't like or use the left bar in Finder windows, it can be hidden (or shrunk) by dragging the seperator

-You can switch to non-metal Finder windows to save the border space, though you loose the convienent top buttons

-While web browsing, you can reduce the font size temporarily (as said, by using command-+ or add the buttons to the top toolbar), or permenantly (check the prefs--default to any font size you like)

-Finally, if you download the free Tinkertool, it lets you tweak a few more visual things that might get the interface looking more to your taste

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mad jew said:
You can also change the icon sizes by typing COMMAND-J in a window and fiddling with the slider. I hope this helps a little. :)
Wow, thanks for that! That's neat... I hope I can remember that shortcut. :D

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
If you still want the sidebar of Finder windows, but you want a smaller feel to things you can also do this:

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
I love threads with suggestive titles....they always end up with huge view # to post # ratios :)

Both of my suggestions have been given. I'm worthless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.