Ahh the joys of Mac Ownership

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

So I moved into my dorm today, my roomate moves in tomorrow. When you get your keys they make you agree not to connect your computer b4 a "netTech" checks it for security purposes....i was walking around and found one of the yellow vest guys and i was like can you check my computer...he stops by here and I say "its a mac" he says ok and calls to activate my connection....very cool everyone else was getting like 15-20 minute lectures on how to use windows update and a virus scanner but mine was like hi and bye he has a mac.....made me so proud ... just thought u guys might appreciate that.

in a week or so I need to figure out how to get some wifi here....i hate being tied down at a desk.

2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Very nice. Kinda makes me wish that i went to a real college instead of a specalized school.

Never got the dorm life experience. :(

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I had the dorm life experience -- back when the university had a VAX system!

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

:) My dorm life experience included running our own network. To three floors. some of the runs were out bathroom windows and along the bricks. It lasted for several semesters before the school caught on. :)

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

We ran our network wires through the bathroom and into the other suite :) It was easy to conceal, we just used a staple gun to run the cable under the sinks. How our dorms are set up is there are two rooms with a bathroom sandwiched between each two going down a hall on each side so that way every two rooms had their own bathroom to share.

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

We had the same setup, but it was 4 rooms to a bathroom. We also noticed that there was a conduit running down the wall in the middle of the hall between the rooms. We popped it open and found a straight shot to the suite of rooms below us. The bathroom shot was to get to the next column of suites....

Ahh, and all on 10 Base 2, BNC, or Coax cable. (However you refer to it. ;))

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a great story Kwyjibo, thank you. It gave me a very proud feeling to read your account. Apple should advertise at you school, get a Mac and get quick access!
    ;)

8. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

When I was in college, we had party-line telephones. Four dorm rooms shared a phone line.

Illinois State University Class of 1989

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Last year we found a hidden door in the second floor lobby that leads to this little conduit/passage that gives you access to *all* of the networking, phone lines, cable tv, etc going into any dorm room....we have to pay for our own services...unless you sneak into this little passage and do a little rewiring... :D

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I have recieved over 800 copies of SoBig today alone. Man, I miss the iMac with regards to viruses.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i went to school:

a computer was "in" if it had a qwerty keyboard

a laptop was not a term...closest term was lapdance, but that's something else

and wireless was a type of bra:p

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5