Ahh the long wait!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by imac9556, Jul 20, 2004.

1. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    First of all, sorry I did not reply in my other post about a deal of a Powerbook G4 15in for $1399 w/ all the free extras. The computer I used to post it with died out on me, Powerbook G4 12in. I was left with no computer. I'm posting this with a computer I borrowed from my dad :) lol
    Well, I was a lucky person.. in a way. The Powerbook G4 12in had a hinge/heat problem where if I were to use the computer for at least 30mins, the screen would get very tight. Moving the screen will make popping sounds from the hinge. I was about to send it in and then Apple decided to replace the machine for me. (It would have been its 3rd repair)
    I paid $950 to upgrade from the Powerbook 12in 867mhz to the Powerbook 15in 1.5ghz Laptop.

The Specs:
    PBG4 15/1.5/1024/80G/SD/AP/BT/LL
    Part No: Z0A304G3Z
    Processor PowerPC G4 128MB VRAM
    1.5 GB DDR333 SDRAM (1gb + 512)
    80GB Ultra ATA Drive@5400rpm
    Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    Country Kit/AirPort Extreme
    BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS

Well, it finally shipped out this morning. It was ordered last Friday.
    But, with my luck, the package is stuck in Shanghai, CH because a "Delay beyond our control"
    The weather was bad so the plane will not go out till tomm! They date of delivery is delayed, will now be on Friday, July 23, 2004. !! :(
    Has that ever happened to anyone before?
    In a way, its one day before my birthday so it would be a great birthday present!! :) lol

Anyways, what can I do till Friday when the Powerbook gets delivered? hehe
    Does anyone have any reviews/comments about the Powerbook G4 1.5ghz 15in? Does it have the defects like the white spots, uneven backlight, the slot of the cd drive warping, the computer not sitting flat, etc?

I'll keep you updated and take pictures of the computer when it arrives :) I might even write a review comparing my old 12in (gone) with the new 15in (arriving soon...)

Thanks again, Paul
    P.S Sorry for the long post :)
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    No, problem and interesting. Let me be the first to say Happy Birthday, that is an awesome birthday. So maybe the delay is very appropriate so that it hits on your B-Day. Your patience will be rewarded. :cool:
  3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Yeah how awsome would that be to have it delivered on your b-day??? It's like your just chillin at home and all of a suden the doorbell rings and BOOM!!! theres your PB. Congrats man!!!!
  4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I wonder if your wait is related to the extra memory and superdrive.

I ordered my Powerbook 15 inch minus the Superdrive on Friday and I get it tomorrow. It's in my city at the sorting center right now. I am taking some time off work so that I can be home when it arrives. I sold two of my laptops (Windows 15 inch and a iBook) for this thing.

I was surprised it came all the way from Shanghai. I plan to buy some memory from Crucial next week. My birthday is next month but it will seem like tomorrow.

I hope I can sleep tonight.
  5. imac9556 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Sorry for the late reply..again. The Powerbook G4 15in arrived today at 11:13am. I installed my extra 512mb (DDR2700) from my Powerbook 12in and have a total of 1.5gb of RAM. I had to open it to check for defects and flaws ;) No dead pixels or problems so far..knock knock.. (running Apple Hardware Test) and took pictures. lol
    After the test its going back to the box till my Birthday on Sat. hehe

P.S. I couldn't sleep AT ALL last night, all the excitement and the worries that it won't make it for delivery today because of the delay in Shanghai I'm still not sleepy :)
  6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I want to take pictures too. My didn't have any dead pixels either. Way to go Apple! I was surprised the battery life and speed of the powerbooks. I brought it in to work and I had everyone want one. One guy asked me what it was called and then repeated it to someone on the phone. At a networking tech meeting that my boss went to, he mentioned that half of the people had Powerbooks or iBooks. They are the best overall value in portables. Quality and amazing speed in a small package.