Ahh! Tiger, come SOON!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dotdotdot, Feb 13, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

:( I'm so upset!!!

Look at the bottom of my signature to see what happened. Thats right - I will not own my first mac until after Tiger is released!!!

AHHH!!! TIGER COME NOW!!!!

Just needed to say this...

...and also needed to say, when does Q1 of 2005 end? When was Tiger supposed to be released? Q1?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Tiger is supposed to be released in the "First HALF of 2005" which means anytime before July 1, 2005.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

It's supposed to come out the first *half* of 2005, not Q1. So, sometime on or before June 30th.

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

Or for Math enthusiasts... ;) If you want to get technical about it. :p

"First half of 2005" would be...

365.25 (days in a year) / 2 = Tiger will be released 182.63 days, or sooner, into 2005.

The 182nd day of 2005 is July 1st... then throw in the .63 of a day which is equal to 15.12 hours and........

Tiger will be released by 3:07pm on July 1. :D

Now is that PT or ET? ;) :p

Side note: Does Apple's OS release pattern follow a schedule like the hardware? I know most people say Apple most often releases new hardware on a Tuesday. Is there an "OS day"? Not that that means anything because the new PBs were announced on a Mon.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yes, Apple does have a pattern for OS releases. The past versions of OS X (Jaguar and Panther) have been released on a Friday at 6 PM ET.

6. SteveC macrumors 6502

Interesting consistency there. :)

July 1 is a Friday, but I (like most everyone) am hoping Tiger is released way before then so let's not even consider that. ;)

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The wait is killing me. :: pulling hair out by the roots :: ;) :)

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wait, I'm confused. What happened? You decided to wait until Tiger? That's not really something that happens, but something that you decide... :confused:

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i was thinking the same thing. i think maybe i remember from another thread that dot^3 was going to get a mini, but then decided not to until tiger comes out. unfortunately, i'm too lazy right now to find out if that is really true.

10. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I know several people at work that are now thinking about switching... However, they want to wait until Tiger comes out. I don't blame them. I was considering buying a new Mac desktop (either iMac or PM), but I refuse to buy another system with Panther when Tiger is soooo near. Grrrrr

11. Bear macrumors G3

You know something, even if I buy my next system after Tiger comes out, I'll still need to get the fmaily pack of Tiger for my other systems which is a fixed cost.

So, I'm atcually waiting until the next PowerMac revision before buying since waiting for Tiger is menaingless for me. And I'll just get the Tiger family pack when it comes out (either before or after I buy the PowerMac.)

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Then you'll need to set aside 2 months for the first 10.4.1 update to fix all the serious bugs. So expect a good version of Tiger come Fall 2005, but really, you need to wait till first half of 2006 for a truly stable Tiger release.

13. Bear macrumors G3

You're probably right about 10.4.1, but I don't think it should need more than that. In any case, it goes on one system first and I make sure it won't kill my main system before updating that.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'll buy a Tiger family pack the day it's released, just like I did with Panther...except this time, since it will probably be on a Friday, I don't have college classes that day, and my local Apple store is pretty close to where I work...I'll just zoom on over there after I finish work (I work part-time, from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM, BTW). I may only have 2 Macs to install Tiger on, so I won't get the full value of the family pack...it doesn't matter since it's STILL cheaper than buying 2 separate licenses.

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....of course, our daily Tiger release thread :rolleyes: .....oh yeah!

16. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Hey do u mind if i put that in my signature? I know a little werid but thats so cool (in a dorky way) :cool:

17. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

My parents take every bit of money i own for stupid things, like college... lol

I need to ask my parents for everything, and any bit of money I own goes to them, so I asked them for an Apple because I'm sick of windows, but then my dad saw that tiger was coming soon... even though its not THAT soon, so he said he wants to wait until Tiger is released...

...we have never owned a Mac, but I'm the only one in my family who REALLY wants one!

18. SteveC macrumors 6502

Haha I don't mind. That's fine; you're welcome to use it. Someone may as well make use of it after all the math it took to come up with it. ;)

There's also a Tiger Countdown page here: http://thegreatones.com/Tiger_Countdown.php

I figure you might want to link to that page in your signature to compliment the release date. The page is a countdown with the exact maximum number of days to the release date.

19. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

dude, your pc is seriously kickin' a**, play some games or somethin and have fun with it till' tiger comes out.. don't get so uptight... eeesh...

20. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

21. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

when tiger comes out..

i'm going to go all sigfried und roy and get all up in that tiger act. hopefully i don't get bitten. or eaten. can you ride a tiger?

22. mateft macrumors member

WWDC

Well, the WWDC starts June 6th. There is your release date for Tiger.

23. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I hope that it comes soon but I havea question.

Is Tiger going to be a full 64Bit OS if you have a G5 or will it only be optimized fo the G5 :confused:

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

panther took all the way to 10.3.4 before it was usable for pro audio work...

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Neither, actually.

Tiger will deliver support at the core UNIX level for 64-bit applications. The GUI, however, will NOT be 64-bit enabled. Tiger will of course have optimizations for G5-based Macs, but that doesn't mean it won't run faster on G4s and G3s than Panther (especially if your graphics card is compatible with Quartz Extreme; even more so if your graphics card can do Core Image in hardware).