AHHHH! Screen of Death!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Feb 24, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

I booted up my DP 867 MDD running 10.2.4 and opened Limewire. Next thing I know, the screen covers in a grey tint and a white box tells me "YOU NEED TO REBOOT NOW!"

What the heck is that all about. All I know is 10.2.4 has been nothing but problems. (Logic board resetting, screen of death) Who is with me??

I felt like I was having Gates98 flashback (blue screen of death) Is it all in my head, or is there others out there confused like me?

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That grey box with a msg telling you to reboot is a "kernel panic", occasionally it happens, unless it starts to happen frequently don't worry about it to much.

4. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks edesign, unfortunately, yzdef was A LOT more helpful

J/K :D

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Thankfully, that box is a lot cleaner than the readout that used to pop up on the screen.

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

some poorly written java apps in particular are more likely to give the compute kernel panics than hard-coded apps. i'm not sure exactly why this is, but hopefully the java update that was rumored months ago will materialize sometime soon. of course, limewire is not known for it's stability, so i would not discount that as the source of your problem.

7. unc32 macrumors regular

I had some when adding multiple users and using DAVE. However, I think I have been able to fix it totally eliminating a few sharing conflicts.