AHHHH Zombies!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by barneygumble, Jun 26, 2005.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Wow, that's really interesting. It's a bit scary though. It's like something out of a science fiction novel.

That picture of the wolf/dog/zombie thing is freaky though.

2. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Woah...that's kinda scary. Am I the only person that doesn't mind dying?

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My only concern would be that they have to use surgery to repair broken blood vessels. If you have major one rupture, it could kill you. Don't know if I'd willingly go through with this, but if it was used to save my life, that would be great.

D

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Lest we forget, but when humans die, their souls are sucked out of them and passes into the ether. All sort of strange things will happen if you re-animate the dead. Haven't you seen Flatliners?

5. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Scientist Can Now Raise the DEAD!

Okay I think we have finally gone to far. Personally, stuff like this scares the s**t out of me. The thought of suspended animation is cool, but what human is actually going to be tested for this.

Raised from the Dead!

edit: sorry, did not mean to post same tread. Still scary though.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

IIRC, This is a hoax...

edit: oops i got this confused with the zombie parasyte in cambodia... :eek:

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This is insane. Can't scientist focus on Warp Drive instead.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

And I'm sure the picture chosen for the story, with the "evil killer zombie-dog" look was pure coincedence.

On a related note, I heard of another technique performed on lab mice involving a certain inert gas that didn't involve draining blood, but was jsut as effective. NPR did a story on it, and it sounded a lot less invasive and freaky than this new drain-the-blood method.

9. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

ergh... that dog looks scary... and why is he on snow??? I wonder why do they do that to a dog in the first place... Kind of cruel, don't you think?

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Don't these scientist know that raising zombie dogs will only result in everyone DIEING! Haven't they ever seen a zombie movie?
    :rolleyes:

Speaking of which I can't wait to see Land of the Dead

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha - I think decent sub light engines would be good enough for now. We're still way under 100k mph.....

If they can get this to work for longer periods of time (months) and have no requirements for surgery afterward to fix things. This will be great for space travel.

D

12. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

No salt in my vessels thank you.

I'm guessing NASA will jump on this one though. Next stop Aldebaran.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

All in the name of science I suppose. Their next trrick will be to reanimate cloned sheep. :cool:

14. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

They been bringing back small animals for years though.

15. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

You mean they're not Evil™? That's too bad...;)

16. barneygumble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would be really concerned if a vampire got hold of all the blood drained out of me :confused:

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Dude. They're animating zombie wolves in Australia? Shouldn't this be happening in some dark, European castle or something?

At least wolves can't build boats ...

18. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

I think the article was suggesting that while in zombie dead zone, previous injuries like battlefield or accident wounds could be repaired more easily than with a still live, heart beating, blood squirting victim.

Otherwise the article contradicts itself where it says there is no damage.

Finding a human volunteer seems a pretty quick empirical test to establish if there really is a soul, not too sure what we might get back if there is.
    :eek:

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

agreed, this movie kinda sucks. I mean what's the point in raising zombies if their not gonna take over the town and only a gang of misfits from the highschool can save the day? Worse.Zombies.EVER

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This is a follow-on to an article in Scientific American this month. Interestingly enough, the article concluded that cells stay viable just fine in very high or very low oxygen environments. It's the transition stage that causes all the damage.

Hence the reason for injecting saline -- it takes the oxygen-carrying blood out of the tisses almost immediately, which is what you want to do. The SA article authors said this seems a little extreme to use in humans, and I agree. They've had some success with mice using Hydrogen Sulfide, I think, mixed in with air. Also, surgery for animals that are "dead" brings in a whole new line of specialties that we haven't developed yet. This is going to be a fascinating area to watch.

21. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

in the area 51 series by robert Doherty they do that to people i think

22. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

That is amazing. Im not sure how I feel about people doing this to humans. If a person I knew was murdered and they could do this I think I would want them to but then again if they brought people that have done bad things to the world that would be very bad and screwed up.

Sorry if this makes no sence my brain doesnt want to work right now :p

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

wow, that is a little creepy. I am a little cocerned about the after-effects of these things happening. I have doubts that this will ever be a "commercial" procedure in our lifetimes, if at all. (WHEW)

ever hear the saying "let sleeping dogs lie"? geeez, when is enough ENOUGH?! Crickey!