Ahhhhh Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EJBasile, Apr 11, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Oh no! The gas prices are on the move. $2.50 for diesel and $2.45 for premium! Lets see its close to $70 to fill up my Rovers and $55 to fill up my E320 CDI.

I feel bad for people that have even more gas guzzling cars like my fathers denali and bently or one of the millions of full size SUV owners. My fathers denali would be close to $100.000 with regular fuel to fill up!

I know I shouldn't be complaining because it was me who bought 2 SUVs. But even for small cars its still expensive. Yes I know in Europe its like $5 a gallon but we have a bit of a different life style.

Does anyone know the projected gas prices

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Supposedly the average price will be $2.50 a gallon for cheap stuff during the summer. Supposedly the current average gas price is $2.17 for 87 octane. Where I live it's currently $2.30 for 87 octane, and it used to be cheap where I live. I'm guessing it's going to be closer to $3.00 a gallon for 87 by the summer.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Here in south LA the price for regular is about $2.10.

4. adn rcd dly macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

southern utah: $2.34, and on wednesday i am going north 300 miles for a week... i hate this....i am going Hybrid

5. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I'm all for high gas prices! Its a good wake up call.

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Good point. Time for us not to rely on gas guzzling cars. Also, time for us to use alternative energy source. Heard that the hybrid (hydrogen and gas) cars are in development now. You can rent one from Honda.

But most likely we will not see a big push on hybrids anytime soon. The petroleum industry would not be very happy (hint: George Bush: sorry for being political).

7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

$2.35 a gallon for regular here in Tallahassee, FL.

Gonna need a new car after this summer, my poor 1996 Hyundai Accent has over 170,000 miles now and things just keep breaking. I want a Toyota Prius or Civic hybrid. Anyone want to donate some money?? :D

8. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

The cheapest one I found is in Hamden, CT $2.19

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

It is $2.59/gallon here in Palm Desert, CA. Some pumps go to around $2.70 (this is for 87 Octane).

Good thing I drive a Ford Focus (27mpg)

10. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i filled up at $2.25 in birmingham, michigan earlier today - at a speedway station. bleh! i know i can find something a few dollars less than that. anyone know of any good resources where you can find the best fuel prices in your area?

11. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I spent the weekend in Newark, NJ and got away with murder: $1.99/gallon for regular unleaded. For some reason, gas prices in NJ are much cheaper than most other places in the northeast.

The weird thing about NJ is that it's illegal to pump your own gas!

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.gasbuddy.com

13. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Great link, I used to have a site for Orlando but since I moved, never bothered looking. Thanks a bunch!

14. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

It's pretty much the same here in Ontario, 2.58 for regular. But Im a chevy man myself. :D

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's ~$2.10-$2.17 for regular here (87 i guess) but my parents '93 aerostar just won't run it on that anymore. middle grade for that but regular for our conversion van. not exactly gas-friendly vehicles especially the van :eek: i believe there's a konfabulator widget that'll find the lowest gas price in/around your zip code but meh...
    edit: just checked gas buddy and the lowest prices in SA are like $2.01-$2.05. guess i live in an expensive part of town for gas

16. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I just bought mid grade for 2.51 in Tacoma, WA. I've seen it going for over 2.60 right now.

BEN

17. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I paid $2.85/gal for premium at my last fill up. At least it's still cheaper than what the British pay for it.

18. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
  19. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I thing this whole gas increase issue will end up being very good for highway safety. Higher priced gas equals fewer and fewer suv's on the road.

Am I the only person that thinks we should have a law that states if you are caught using you cell phone while speeding in an suv, you should be charged with attempted murder?

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You have a point. Though I think that it will have little effect on the majority of drivers. For those that drive the big gas guzzlers it is just another cost of their lifestyle. Just as some of them flaunt the HOV laws.

The shame is that with fuel prices increasing 30 to 40% it is the working poor (read the lower middle class) that will have to without in other areas. Like the "housing bubble" hasn't already done a number on them.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Ouch! :(

But how much of that is in taxes? Also the popular opinion is that mass transit is better in Europe than in most areas of the US.

22. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea people may slow down on buying SUVs. I don't think they will just disappear. Its still expensive for small car owners if they were paying $1.89 dollars a gallon before and now are paying $2.49.

23. iGav macrumors G3

Do you not think that's a little harsh? Driving without due care and attention yes, but attempted murder?

Imagine the legal precedent a law like that would set. Where would it stop?

24. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    gas here in woodstock is up about 30c per gallon over the last month or so. now about $2.25. i try and fill up in NJ when driving to NYC as it's so much cheaper there, and it's full service too, strange (by law).

while i agree that it's a good wake up call, i'm sure the prices aren't rising to discourage people from buying gasoline. if that were the case, bring it on! raise it more!

oh, and the cellphone thing...i personally think hands-free is a joke, you are still concentrating on the call, not paying as much attention to the road as you should, cellphones should be banned whilst driving, period. what difference does hands-free make? majority of cars here are autos anyway, no need to change gear or anything with the spare hand...the state of drivers here is terrible as it is.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually in austria it's roughly at 0,95 - 1 euro per liter ... and the germans are driving across the border like crazy because it's so cheap to fill up here

personally as student it's simpy not worth the hassle to own a own car so i'm all for increasing the taxes ... only if it really hurts (which at 1 euro a liter it doesn't really do) people will drive less with their cars... perhaps if they would double the prices people would drive less...

the car owning/buying taxes are not small either..they take up most of the taxes paid by car owners ... not the gasoline