Ahmadinejad speech to UNSC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jamesmcd, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I just watched the speech live on CNN of Ahmadinejad's speech to the United Nations Security Council. To put it simply, I was pleased with what I saw, and genuinely believed that Iran has no intentions of making nuclear weapons (not that I every thought they did).

If his speech was serious, and he wasn't just 'having the world on' so-to-speak, then I think that he might be the first to make the middle-east take their first step into the right direction.

I come from NZ, and our country is not involved in Iraq at all. In fact, our Prime Minister has publicly criticized the war many times. I personally think the person that should be on trial in Iraq right now should be President Bush.

Anyway, just felt like saying that.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I find it sad that people believe what mahmoud ahmadinejad says more than what President Bush says. Mahmoud does not strike me as an honest person. For the record, President Bush appears to me more honest than Ahm-a-crazy-ding-dong-Ah-jad.

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

KingYaba, only a crazed Texan neocon warmongering jingoist evangelical dips!ht moron of a Republican could believe that a fine democratic liberal tolerant secular well-dressed non-homosexual-executing seeking-nuclear-power-despite-GOBS-of-oil fairly-elected president of a peace-loving Persian civilization that chants DEATH TO AMERICA!!!! could be dishonest.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I find it slightly disturbing that people turn a blind eye to the fact that Ahmadinejad has said that they WOULD wipe Israel from the map and destroy the West, and people would rather believe him than a person (as incompetent as he may or may not be, time is the ultimate judge), who has always felt what he was doing was right for his country. I don't know what I'd do in his position.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Are you being sarcastic? Please tell me you are?

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I think it's safe to say he was being sarcastic. :D Funny post by the way.

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah, dude. Next time I'll beat you over the head a little more transparently:D

EDIT: although I'll admit, George W. has earned our distrust.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

couldn't help but notice that he was speaking to a rather sparse crowd. I wonder if that's because the assembly thinks he's a kook or if they're worried that attendance might be construed as a show of support. Never good to be a foreign person who's gotten on W's bad side...

9. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

True, it was very sparse indeed. Israel wasn't even there :cool:

At the end, he recieved a good applause though. This speech seems to be a completely different tone than his previous ones. Perhaps he knows that he needs to be a good boy from now on... or at least act like one.

Put it this way. Iran has no nukes, US has heaps. Bush has killed hundreds of thousands of people due to his actions, Ahmad hasn't.

Remember the whole thing with Iraq and WMDs? Think people, here we are going crazy about Iran and Nukes. What next? Hell, maybe New Zealand will have nukes (despite our nuke-free policy).

10. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

wow, you actually believe Iran has no designs on building nuclear weapons?

Iran is a fundamentalist islamic state which is anti all forms of individual rights. If someone believes differently and speaks up, they are murdered.

Iran also sponsors terrorism worldwide through proxies. such as via Syria and Terrorist organizations based in PLO territories. They are pushing overthrow of all "moderate" or western nations which have majority islamic people.

That and to mention Iran is basically evil. They have full of hatred for western civilization, christians, jews and anyone who isnt muslim.

We have alot to fear from Iran and all of their friends.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no, *you* have a lot to fear, because you've swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

reread your post -- it's like a talking points memo from a drunk karl rove.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Arabs are just like them upitty Injuns standing in the way of progress.

13. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just for the record:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5362208.stm

Somehow, he seems more reasonable, moderate and politically astute than little George. That expensive Harvard education didn't achieve much, did it?

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You mean Yale, don't you or am I missing something again? I don't think the president could have done better if he had attended all of his classes and taken exams. He still comes off as a backwoods type every time he says "nucular."

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If its a peaceful Nuclear program like he says then why cant he open it up 100% ? Because it isnt,never was. It was a underground weapons project. Stop ignoring the facts
    Yes we have a Moron as president who has screwed up Iraq so bad now that he is confronted with the real deal in Iran he cant do much. America elected a clown and we are stuck with him.
    Ahmadeinejad speech was interesting and I agreed with a lot of his points but that doesnt change the fact that Iran has a weapons program thats been going on for almost 2 decades. He can talk about everything in the world but the proliferation of nukes isnt something anyone should ignore... Europe you paying attention? He's in your backyard.

17. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Evil snake oil salesman are usually very charming. Works like a charm on the gullible.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whoops! :eek:

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

actually, Bush did his undergrad at Yale and got an MBA at Harvard. I'm sure both institutions are extremely proud...

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Let's open up our nuclear program to Iran then, okay? I'm sure you'd have no problem doing that.

Even if Iran does have nukes, I'd rather this country do absolutely nothing about it until we get Bush out of office. I don't want a "war president" trying to solve any sort of problem like this. He's already shown he is incapable of solving probelms diplomatically since he chose not to talk to Ahmadinejad when he was here.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't trust either one of them. Both liars, as far as I'm concerned, although I think Ahmadinejad is even crazier than Bush, and a lot more politically canny.

Think about this:

Moron scores degrees from Harvard and Yale, with rich and powerful daddy's help. Fails in business, then becomes President of the United States.

In another world, this would have been the plot of some dumb teenage comedy directed by the Farrelly brothers or the Wayans.

In ours, it's a sad and frightening reality.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... some people believe what EITHER of those two said? I wouldn't trust either man as far as I could throw them. Although, speaking of which, that could be fun...

Of course Iran is after nukes, and of course Bush somehow thinks he has the wherewithal, or the moral high ground, to stop Iran.

The question isn't what do we do about Iran's weapons program, it's what kind of relationship will we have with a nuclear Iran? All the bloviating about how to stop them is useless -- unless we're willing to use a nuclear first-strike, or commit 10 times the number of troops we used in Iraq, we won't do much more than delay Iran's nuclear ambitions for a few more years while they rebuild hardened facilities that will allow their work to proceed.

And I see only a very few on the extreme right fringe willing to advocate either of those approaches.

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

a nuke has not been dropped onto civilians for over 50 years.

why are countries so involved in trying to get a nuke for themselves?

I mean, we, the US, have like 20,000+ and it only takes one to end the world.

Why would anyone want to build a new nuke, the coldwar was one thing, today, wtf is the point.

ONE nuke equals worldwide destruction from not just nuclear, but social, political, and military fallout.

there is a huge difference between the US dropping 2 nukes thousands of miles from its people, and every single Middle Eastern country wants to use nukes to bomb Israel, which would pretty much DOOM the entire region to nuclear winter and all that.

so tell me, Iran, why do you want a nuke anyway? Get with the program and do some sorta space based Under Siege 2 type crap. Nukes are so last century.

24. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I think that's exactly right.

Sometime after the Iraq invasion, Tony Blair said he felt if the "world community" had stood together, war wouldn't have been necessary. I agreed with that then, and think the same is true regarding Iran today.

If the world, including Russia, China, Taiwan, and Israel, along with Europe and the South American Marxists, demanded Iran stop, and were prepared to use force, well then we wouldn't have to use force. But that's not going to happen.

So either Iran goes nuclear, or the U.S. and/or Israel attacks (and Iran still probably goes nuclear). Both scenarios are dangerous, and the latter would mean the death of the trans-Atlantic relationship, and the likely marginalization of America's military and economy for a generation.

We just don't have the leadership to deal with this. Remember when C.O.B.R.A. combined the DNA of history's most brutal tyrants to create Serpentor? We need to do the same with the DNA of Reagan, Kennedy, and Eisenhower.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because members of the nuclear club rarely get invaded. Particularly of concern when you look at the fate of the members of the "axis of evil".

You don't suppose Iran has any reason to suspect the US might want to use their military against them, do you? No history of coups, supporting opposition groups secretly? No US troops in close proximity? Nothing like that, right?