Ahnold

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I just don't know what to make of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Sometimes, as with the stem cell research issue, he sounds pretty moderate for a conservative.

Then I read articles like this one, in which we find this disturbing passage:

There he sounds a lot like one of those typical says-one-thing-but-does-another politicians.

And the idea (stated later in the article) that people actually want to change the Constitution to allow him to run for president is just a bad one. Despite current events, we're not so hard-up for good candidates that we have to take that drastic a measure.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For those who've cared to know, this has been obvious from even before he was elected. See also this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97295

I honestly wish him success, because lord knows this state is in desperate need of governance. But I'm coming to the conclusion that Schwarzenegger simply is a raging egomaniac, and not up to the job.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

As a Democrat, I've been mostly happy with his leadership. He does some completely rude things from time to time, though, like calling Dems "girlie men" when everyone was trying to hammer out a budget.

Still, I think he is more of a "people's politician" than some others are. For example, he plans to open up his schedule so people can see what he's really doing all day long. He has also signed legislation to ban the force-feeding of ducks for foie gras -- a significant move, because duck farms have said that they "must" use force-feeding for the production of foie gras. I also liked that he recently campaigned alongside San Fransisco's very liberal mayor Gavin Newsom in support of prop 1A.

There are other things I like about him too: his support of stem-cell research, frequent public statements, dislike of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and so on. I like him enough that I would strongly consider voting him back into office. He probably won't be my favorite politician ever, and I'm not sure he has the experience to serve well as president, but he's definetely much better than I thought he would be.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have mixed feelings about the Govenator too. He is indenependent enough from his party (i.e. he doesn't need to be a republican politician to be rich and powerful) that he can, I think, go his own way. Like w/stem cells. But then there is the recent gift thing. Even if there really aren't any political favors going in exchange for personal gifts it still looks dubius<sp?>.

When I was in college I had a part time job one summer working the graveyard shift at a gas station in small Indiana town and the local cops wouldn't even take a free cup of coffee from me. I thought they were being a bit extreme (I mean, it's a cup of gas station coffee) but I understood why they politely declined.

Lethal

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I had a roomate who was a bodybuilder once. And idolized (to the point of studying) Ahnold. The BodyBuilder subculture is unique within itself, but almost entirely ego based. After a while you just get sick of someone who has to prove how wonderful he is at everything, despite the fact that if you are willing to take Steroids to get there, it shows that you are willing to do anything to get what you want. Ahnolds not awful, but he is not done much about solving future energy debacles, has borrowed money to cover the deficit, and doesn't seem to have any long term vision for what needs to be done.

6. vwcruisn macrumors regular

link

Thats a great tactic for a governor of a predominatly democratic state... call them all losers :rolleyes:

7. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is the #1 thing I can't stand about the guy. A while ago he was calling some Democrats "girlie men." :rolleyes:

Anyway, as long as he continues to be moderate, I'm ok with him. He runs his mouth a little from time to time, but when you look at the sorts of decisions he's made, I think he's better than most Republicans. I think we'll continue to see moderate decisions from him, since his wife is, after all, a Democrat, and ...

:eek: ;) :p

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He is "moderate" on social issues only, and blatantly dishonest on others. It's worth considering where he'd be right now if it wasn't for star power, a completely artificial force that causes many people to overlook or forgive his frequently egotistical and even downright idiotic remarks.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

To pick a nit, being a Republican does not necessarily equate to being a conservative. Nor Democrat to Liberal.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't pick at it, it will never heal. ;)

So the question of the hour, day, week and year remains: Did you vote for this? I know I didn't. Those who did, no matter what they call themselves, have some explaining to do.